Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Looking at various tow behind vehicle, some require the battery to be disconnected while towing. While this can be a simple process or a PIA depending upon the vehicle, has anyone found a simple solution?

I was thinking a simple disconnect solenoid with a switch inside the passenger compartment would be a good solution for this. Also makes a great theft deterrent.

for instance Painless Wiring

I would look into a charge wire system to keep the battery charged. I use Toad-Charge, but it is no longer made. RVI makes one that is similar, although I have not used it.

This is what I use and installed. Not complicated at all. Roadmaster 766 battery disconnect:

This is what I use and installed. Not complicated at all.

Roadmaster is the gold standard. As you wish, the button can be most anywhere, including inside the cab. Battery disconnect and reconnect without having to raise the hood.

If you are intending on needing 12vdc for an auxiliary braking unit, then a direct from battery, fused recept (female cigar lighter) must also be installed.

I went with this Blue Sea unit. Considered the Roadmaster 766 but reports of failures and mounting instructions that specified orientation caused me to look for other solutions. So far verry happy with the Blue Sea unit.

Looks like a battery disconnect solenoid is in my future. The Ford Flex I am now considering requires a Neg terminal disconnect when towing. The routine to go into Tow mode for the Flex is stupid simple (always best IMHO).

BTW the Ford Flex is not as inexpensive as I first thought (Dealer Fees add up quick) but doable, finally found one all in, out the door (plates, taxes, etc) for mid $20Ks. Used with 35k on the clock.

Excessive Dealer Fees are something new for me. Very irritating trying to nail down an "out the door" price.
Worked through several dealers before I found someone reasonable. Looking at one this Tuesday, already negotiated a price using Images, CARFAX, Internet tools, and TEXTs. Very Strange.....we'll see.

Back on topic:
Roadmaster or similar solenoid at the battery appears adequate BUT now the question is what control switch and where to mount it.

Preferable I'd like the switch accessible from the Driver position. Should it be a Guarded Toggle (aviation style) or a rotating switch.

Amazon product ASIN B09B954XV3

What have others used as control switches and where do you mount them?

My rocker switch with the Roadmaster setup is just inside the door left of my left knee. Some have put it in glove boxes, it's easy to locate wherever works best for you.

Joe Check out the Link to the Blue Sea unit I provided in post #5. There is a picture of the protected push button switch that comes with the unit. The switch has a cover that slides up or down to expose the portion of the switch that can be pressed. I mounted the switch near the ODBII connector under the dash, away from any danger of being hit with my foot but still within reach when seated. The specific switch can be purchased separately but as I recall it was pretty pricey.

This is what I use and installed. Not complicated at all. Roadmaster 766 battery disconnect:

@Joe Goodxrvn

I just had the RoadMaster system installed in my friend's new Denali and it came out PERFECT!

Super simple and clean!!

The button is hidden on the sideboard in the driver's footwell. Piece of cake operation and the ONLY thing that some folks will not like is that...if you LOCK your door, you'll need to USE A MANUAL KEY TO UNLOCK the door. This isn't so fun on some cars that hide the lock behind a cover.

We contemplated mounting a waterproof button, hidden in the grill somewhere. That would be a good option to avoid the UNLOCKING issue.

Latest resources

Back