Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RC9660

RVF Newbee
I use a deep cycle lead acid battery and when not dry camping leave my trailer plugged in year round. Still batteries seem to have a short life. Are the more expensive batteries worth the price tag?

Do your batteries require keeping water topped off? Maybe the battery tender you're using isn't properly maintaining the batteries? The alternative is to charge them and disconnect them. Your battery manufacturer should have storage recommendations.

Give this a read: How To Maintain Batteries - Deep Cycle Battery Store It will help you get more life out of your batteries.

As to “more expensive batteries worth the price tag”, it depends on what they are selling. AGM batteries cost more and are a better fit for RVs for a number of reasons. But one brand over another is pretty subjective. Look at battery specs, where they are made, and even weight.

What's a "short life". I use the same type (Marine Deep Cycle) and treat them the same. I'm happy with five years effective life. I use the Flow-Rite watering system (easy) to maintain. I could probably get better life, but I'm not going to disconnect until I buy new ones 😉 I use Interstate Marine Deep Cycle from Costco. Blessings

Yes they are worth the price!
I place some conditions on that comment however.

AGM, Covers many types, so this is the "why" you are wondering about.

A low cycle failure rate can be attributed to the addition of antimony in the plates. The problem with a battery maintainer is the constant plating of antimony on the outside surface of the plates.

The cure for plating is not using the antimony or magnesium I believe in the plate structure.

Two batteries that I have had experience with are the spiral blue/red/or yellow top optima battery line. They have pure lead plates.

The other one is the one I currently use called the Northstar Blue+, the battery uses pure lead with a carbon additive in the negative plate. There may well be others, but these I have experience with.

Remember, pure lead, no plating, the plates will give up the power stored in them. And all lead batteries are likely to use antimony/magnesium in the plates to make them physically stronger, except for these two that I know of, there may be others.

I think nowadays it is wise to go the LFP battery route.
Less weight and more capacity. And no worries having them sit for months.
Any lead acid battery can only use about 50% of its rated capacity without damaging it prematurely.
Not so with a LFP battery. You can get the full capacity out of it. . . if you need to.
And they don't require any maintenance. No corroded contacts, no water to replenish.

I think nowadays it is wise to go the LFP battery route.
Less weight and more capacity. And no worries having them sit for months.
Any lead acid battery can only use about 50% of its rated capacity without damaging it prematurely.
Not so with a LFP battery. You can get the full capacity out of it. . . if you need to.
And they don't require any maintenance. No corroded contacts, no water to replenish.
There is one issue with the lithium batteries they do not handle extreme cold very well. Otherwise a great choice.

I use a deep cycle lead acid battery and when not dry camping leave my trailer plugged in year round. Still batteries seem to have a short life. Are the more expensive batteries worth the price tag?
I have switched my batteries to AGM Absorption glass mat and I love them. I looked at Lithium however while great performers they one draw back is very cold. Lithium do not like extreme cold and should be removed is sitting in cold for long periods. There are Lithium batteries with built in technology to help this issue.

The cold is not as big of an issue like people think. If the battery temp is below 32F just charge with 0.1C and below 14F charge with only 0.05C
And as Wemustrv mentioned, the battery and BMS manufacturers took this in consideration and most good LFP batteries have now a heating element inside.
I am using LFPs to power my office in case of the numerous power outages we have in FL and have also one in my 5th wheel.

The cold is not as big of an issue like people think. If the battery temp is below 32F just charge with 0.1C and below 14F charge with only 0.05C
And as Wemustrv mentioned, the battery and BMS manufacturers took this in consideration and most good LFP batteries have now a heating element inside.
I am using LFPs to power my office in case of the numerous power outages we have in FL and have also one in my 5th wheel.
The 32 degree is a big number! Dendrites are formed charging below that temperature.
The battery works as a heater simply by discharge, any BMS is designed to protect the battery.

There is nothing more dramatic than lithium on melt down. Melt down happens when the battery reaches that magic number. That number can be reached when the Dendrites grow large enough, or high loads are applied bringing the temperature up to that magic number.

One thought!!! Electronics never fail!!!

Latest resources

Back