• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Battery tester needed

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am old school. I test voltage with a multimeter, and load with a simple load tester.

This would be similar to what I have, although mine is 20 years old, same basic concept.

Schumacher BT-100 100 Amp Capacity Battery Load Tester https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMBOI0/?tag=rvf01-20

So I went to that link and Amazon shows me I already purchased it :oops: - so now I have to figure out what I did with it!! I'm sure it's at home in my garage somewhere. Hmmmm (A.G.E. syndrome striking again)

So I went to that link and Amazon shows me I already purchased it :oops: - so now I have to figure out what I did with it!! I'm sure it's at home in my garage somewhere. Hmmmm (A.G.E. syndrome striking again)
Maybe if you check with Newmar they might find that Essex you ordered. ?

Maybe if you check with Newmar they might find that Essex you ordered. ?

The day I forget to show up for FPU please commit me!

I’m under the assumption that the 12v load testing devices are suitable for determining if your starting battery is serviceable. It will apply a resistance and watch the voltage result. More to see if it has the cold cranking amps needed to run the starter for a short time.

Testing deep cycle 6v batteries would require a timed run down using a device which applies a known load and records the time to drain the battery to the mfg. spec. The alternative being a EIS type tester which applies a load and compares the characteristics of the voltage drop to known data to extrapolate the results.

I’m kinda hesitant to drain my battery to find out if it was good or not, I don’t think the test itself is a healthy thing to do to the battery???? I’m probably wrong. It still isn’t convenient. Cannot imagine the Hassle of taking two 6v batteries and performing tests...which might take a couple of days...and repeating for three more pairs. You could spend a week testing. Or find a service with an EIS tester... you still have to isolate the batteries for testing, but the test takes less than a minute.

I was wondering if testing individual batteries really is important because they are connected as pairs, and if one in that pair is bad then both are bad and both need to be replaced as a pair from what I've heard. So I wonder if testing our house batteries if we are doing it correctly in testing individual batteries vs. 12v pairs?

Why do we use 6V batteries instead of 12V batteries? Maybe for another thread...
From a sailing website:
"
6v golf cart batteries generally have much thicker plates than their 12v "deep cycle" counterparts. i.e. the 6v battery is truly a deep cycle battery where most of the 12v batteries are dual-purpose.

They're also relatively cheap. They're also much easier to handle than 4d or 8d batteries. Bang-for-buck, for a SLA, I'd always go for 6v batteries.
"
Also watch this video from approx 10:30 to 15:00

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back