• Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Becoming wary of traveling outside of state

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
we have become very wary of travel outside of Florida.
Come on Joe, it’s all good! Keep on truckin & rving. Rv’d through all 48 contiguous states for 20 years in a pusher with no threat to our wellbeing by bad guys. Plan ahead and enjoy!!

Sorry to hear about Creekfire. That was on my bucket list. As far as truck stops go, I never had a problem or head of a problem when I was there. I have been sleeping in truck stops and rest areas for 50 years.

That being said. The entire world is becoming more evil. We have several generations of people who grew up with no conscience or sense of right and wrong. Seems like in Fl if you accidentally cut someone off on the road or don’t move fast enough they try to shoot you. If they can’t do that they want to run you off the road. Some people seem to get a kick out of cuting off large vehicles and hitting the brakes. Sees like the advertising of lawyers getting people hundreds of thousands of dollars, likely feuls this behavior.

I like truckstops and rest areas far away from major cities. I sometimes leave the dash cam running all night, but but mostly not.

Yes. Stuff happens, but even if one sells one’s rig and stays locked up at home, there is no guaranty of total safety. The Bible warns of these times. I may not be allowed to say that, but fact is fact. Nowit seems as a great majority of people ignored the warnings at their own risk. Unfortunately it put all of us at risk.

I do have a doorbell camera on the coach. My plan is to put another on the grill, two on the mirror arms an one on the rear. I sleep a little lighter in these places and have been known to peak ot several windows in the middle of the night if I hear something even close to suspicious.

Heck. It is dangerous to go to Walmart in the middle of the day now. A man tried to push a woman into her own trunk while she was loading groceries, in broad daylight. Luckily, a bystander saw and chased the man away.

Gangs are hiring teams of kids and shipping them various places to rob vehicles. They are trained to look for weapons. They hit a few places and then are shipped elsewhere. Our campground got hit last year.

All you can do is say your prayers, stay alert and enjoy your life.

On every trip lately I get approached at truckstoos by people with creative stories, asking me for money. On the last trip one of those people drove up in a small car, with a sad story. I was filling the coach with gas. I just pointed at it and indicated where the money is going. He got the message and drove away.

I often worry about the weather, hurricanes, tornados, etc. Can’t do much about them but try to dodge them, while praying for safety. Life is risky.

Ok, I have bored you enough.

Why on earth stay at a truck stop, rest area or walmarts, I only stay at real reviewed campgrounds. I travel with.a GSD, pepper spray and.a S&W 38, only travel in daytime. 30 years RV'ng not a single issue, GSD never used

I did some checking and this incident happened in Tennessee, not Texas. There was a shooting at a neighborhood Baytown gas station a few years ago with a death. Neither of the other reported Houston problems can be verified. The Hoston papers and none of the Hoston TV stations reported any of these incidents.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back