Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

plarivesr

RVF Newbee
I have a 7500 lb travel trailer. What are the best heavy duty rotors and brake pads for my Toyota Tundra ?

I always buy Napa’s premium line. There is one step above that for rotors that are more performance oriented, cross-drilled and all that, but not worth the extra cost. When choosing rotors you can compare different quality levels by pinging them and comparing the note or tone of the ring it makes (good steel) or dull thunk (cheap metals). When its a safety or strength issue, I avoid steel products made in China - tools, graded hardware, and brake rotors are some examples. Too many “counterfeits” and cheap knock-offs.

For pads, I always use the Napa premium. I’ve done many brake jobs on trucks which I’ve used for towing all sorts of heavy trailers, and never had an issue. Ford had a rotor problem in the 90’s (cheap, thin rotors that would warp just after the warranty period ended), but Napa brake products have always done the job with no issues.

For my Lexus (basically a Toyota) I use premium ceramic pads that I always purchase from Orielly's Autoparts (I found while working in the shop ceramic brake pads operate well, create less brake dust and help eliminate brake noise), but I don't remember the brand name at the moment, the box is black and gold (the cost is a little high around $80). In regard to the rotors, I just use the OEM type rotors, nothing special. Toyota's brakes work great and have good stopping power. Before my Lexus I towed with my F-150 and the stopping power on the Lexus is superior to the Ford. I worked as a Ford Senior Master Technician for 16 years before changing careers to education, I have done a lot of brake jobs, and the OEM parts are typically high quality in my experience.

Latest resources

Back