Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DianeD

RVF Regular
Hi! I currently have a 29.5bhok Jayco and am looking to upgrade to a 36 ft.+ rear living Fifth Wheel. I am struggling on which brand to buy based on all the issues that I have had with my Jayco. Does anyone have a Fifth Wheel that they love? Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on which ones to stay away from..... Thank you so much!

I guess my initial thought is none of them are perfect. We have owned two different brands of fivers, Keystone Montana and now a Heartland Cyclone. The floor plans we have had are the larger models (39' to 44') with MSRPs in the $100,000 to $125,000 range. I have found that these have had larger frame rails and the side walls seems to be constructed better. We have had minor issues with all of them but nothing major.

I would first find a floor plan that you like in a model that you can tow with your current truck. Then start doing a little research on the history of that specific make. Owner's forums can be a good place to check for common issues with certain makes/models.

We have had our Heartland for just a few months. We are very happy with our purchase. I only have two issues that need fixed under warranty and might be difficult to get done as full timers. Our ice maker doesn't work (LG frig) and one of the fantastic fans is detective. Since I can't easily take it to my selling dealer (1,300 miles away) I will have to find another dealer to do the work which is sometimes almost impossible. The Heartland factory won't do warranty repairs unless it is something really major that dealers can't handle.

Oh, and by the way, if you are looking at new dealer stock on a fiver you want to start negotiations around 32% to 35% off MSRP. Be sure to locate the exact make/model/color you want at several dealers around the country before you go to the first dealer and start dealing.

Thank you for your help! I have a 3500 GMC Duali so pulling won't be an issue - but I love your feedback on construction and warranty and negotiating - that is a huge help! I really appreciate it.

Hi! I currently have a 29.5bhok Jayco and am looking to upgrade to a 36 ft.+ rear living Fifth Wheel. I am struggling on which brand to buy based on all the issues that I have had with my Jayco. Does anyone have a Fifth Wheel that they love? Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on which ones to stay away from..... Thank you so much!
If I was buying a 5th wheel trailer it would be one built for 4-season use with adequate insulation. As for problem brands and years I would go to the individual forums for each manufacturer's products. I would also be aware of the model years with problems as what may have been an issue 10 years ago may not be a problem with more recent model years, and vice versa. Searching on "jayco" and "problem" is going to be more productive in researching trailers.

RV manufacturers use the same plumbing and appliances so it comes down to how well the frame is constructed and the roof type and wiring for solar and battery bank layout and other issues that would be my concerns.

I like what I see in the Grand Design series as I look for a good 5th wheel. I think one dealer website I looked at said “lifetime warranty”. I current have a 19 ft Cruiser Shadow that I pull with a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. It all works fine, but just to crowded for the longer trips. I am looking at the Grand Design Reflection series and the 260RD. It is about 30 ft., and 9,997 gross weight. Of course I then need a pickup and thinking the RAM 2500 diesel might be my ticket.

We upgraded from a travel trailer to a keystone Laredo 325rsl, it’s rear living with a couch that folds out to a bed and has the 2 recliners, very roomy, has plenty of storage space (I’m still trying to fill it up) we picked it up last sept and just now camping in it. Absolutely love it, and love how it tows versus towing a travel trailer

Sometimes I can't help but giggle like a little girl. two phrases set this off. first one is lifetime warranty, must mean a good product. This is because I have had two rigs that were sold with such a warranty. Both manufacturers were not in business when I bought them. The other phrase is we are going green as a country. This one makes me laugh because I have had a machine shop and know how much green energy it would require to make the shop viable.

For the record I have only met happy grand design owners.

First, I agree that it doesn't matter what you buy. They're all gonna have issues. That being said, I really like our KZ Durango Gold 356. Its the right size, weight, and quality. I love (almost) everything about it. Great trailer.

I had a Grand Design. Sold it after 1 year . Poor craftsmanship just like so many others out of Indiana. The worker pool is the same. I know a lot of GD owners with issues. Like posted above go to the individual manufacture forums web sites. Read what the owners say and ask questions there. The owners are the best way to find out.

Latest resources

Back