• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Best (or worst) Fifth Wheel to buy?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I had a Grand Design. Sold it after 1 year . Poor craftsmanship just like so many others out of Indiana. The worker pool is the same. I know a lot of GD owners with issues. Like posted above go to the individual manufacture forums web sites. Read what the owners say and ask questions there. The owners are the best way to find out.
Our Solitude was about a year old when the wood-grain vinyl wrap on the doors started to peel off on the edges. The GD quality of build is typical for the price range. Their customer service is above average however. IMHO.

We are now out of the 5th wheel market, having bought a MH. We as they say graduated through the system of RV's.
We had a Forest River 5th wheel we bought new. We had a major electrical issue shortly after purchasing and both the selling dealer and FR would not step up and take care of it. I finally fixed it myself and worked through the poor workmanship over and over again. So I would never buy any Forest River product again. I don't want to be just a number on a spreadsheet.

We looked hard at New Horizons and really liked them. I think Luxe was probably 2nd on our list and then Beacon.

Some friends of ours own a Beacon. They have been all over the road and back over the last 2 years. They love it. Not one issue with it. While I'm not sure about Luxe , I always see good reports on both New Horizons and Vanleighs. A good choice either way for upscale 5th wheels and full timing.

Luxe and some of the other fivers that approach and exceed $200,000 are great units, or at least most of the reviews claim they are.

Looks like DianeD hasn't been back since October so there is no way to know what there purchasing budget was in the first place. Maybe they will return and let us know what, or if, they ended up with.

Not sure if you bought anything yet...but Grand Design is good. Customer service was as good as people say. Any issue I had was resolved. I had a 337RLS Fifth wheel and only sold as we couldn't cross the border and wanted a smaller unit once things settle down...I am CDN and want to go to the USA

Recently purchased a Jayco 321RSTS fifth wheel only one 100 mile trip so far but tows nice with my ram 2500hd with the 6.4 hemi

I figure purchasing new or used, bumper tow or 5th wheel, big 35' or small 21', they all have about the same brands of appliances and systems. There is just standard stuff used throughout the RV products. And they all have about the same level of electrical and plumbing issues. Do figure on very little support from the Dealer and maybe less, unless a major frame issue, from the manufacturer. In other words, plan on resolving the issues yourself. Plus you will learn about the systems and have more money in your wallet.

Read the reviews in various publications. Then decide.

I posted this in another forum once. Seems like this would be a good place for it.

Let me ramble and get yelled at here.

I'm not saying they are all the same , but almost all are really. Only the sales pitch, hype and cost are different.

Most manufactures of travel trailer and 5th wheel trailers have been doing the following for several years now. Very few have not.

Most have not used rubber roofs or only 2 inch thick roofs for many many years. TPO, PVC , Vinyl or other type materials now days are used. Each manufacture brags theirs is better and will last 10 to 12 years.

Most have had enclosed under belly's for years now. Yet they each state and claim it as if their the only ones to offer this.

Racetrack ducting. All been there and done that now days.

Most all have the same floor plans for each class and size. They almost all use the same cabinet makers, color schemes and designs.

Most all have the same components from the same suppliers.

Seems most are all built the same way with few differences. Most like to make it sound as if they are the only ones who do this or that. Yet when you look around you find others do it and may have done it longer.

Per size and class they are almost the same from one manufacture to the next.

Each has something they brag about that makes them better , but in the end they are not really all that far apart from one another.

Heck most of them are built in Indiana and by the same worker pool year after year.

So knowing this to be true in a lot of cases and with not much to separate them other than factory warranties for structural builds ( which by the way is again almost never the issue for any of them) why do we here the rumors about this one being bad or this one being better? Seems like even the sales people and techs believe these rumors and or spread them. One tech tells a customer to STAY AWAY from that or this manufacture , they make a 2 inches thick roof or that type floor wont last it is foam . Yet now days almost nobody builds like that Simple little statements like that and it spreads like wild fire that this manufacture isn't as good as this one. As an example and only as an example. I owned what some consider a really good one Grand Design. Yet my support wasn't all that for 2 issues, and I had to have the entire slide wall replaced right from the factory because the wall paper was so poorly laid down there wasn't a flat place on it . The fit and trim was not very good at all. So much for the in house inspections there. They do make a great product so don't think I'm knocking them . Many people are very happy with them. They seem to stand behind their product really well.

I guess with few exceptions there are no real differences between them all. I do see cult like followings of some manufactures that I can not understand. People even pay a lot more for that name, sure as heck there's another guy builds his the same but the rumors and hype made them spend a whole lot more.

Here are a few example question for ya on builds. If you have a choice which would be better.

Laminated aluminum framed or wood framed walls ?

Wood Truss roof or aluminum truss roof ?

Marine grade tongue and groove flooring or laminated floor construction (vinyl - luan - foam - luan ?

My point again is it seems to me they are almost all the same with some sales hype for this type slightly different build or that type build being the better one.

In the end now days nothing really stands out from one to the other so why such big price differences between them? Per class and size one is really no better than the other if you take away rumors and hype.

Lots of great insight in this thread! thanks for sharing.
We have recently come to realize that we are not camping in the manner we thought we would. Life conspires to lead you onto certain paths and before you know it, you have gone pretty far down trail.
We love our Cornerstone, but we are not getting out as much as we wanted to nor visiting the type of places we enjoy. Too easy to park rig on our coach lot and just enjoy that vibe. Seems like the coach just becomes a second home in the mountains.
DW thinks a smaller rig parked at our S&B would enable some more spontaneity and return us back to our roots. So... we will make the pilgrimage to Hershey and look around. I have been trying to research other alternatives, but for many of the reasons captured in this thread it is not easy to ID good players, from mediocre, to bad.
Been at this long enough to know all rigs will break, each will be built with their own nuances, and perfection does not exist.
Wish me luck, patience, and control.

Don't buy one expecting to accommodate the kids and the grandkids. You and the wife will be stuck with a $100K, hard-to-handle, oversize travel trailer or RV. While it may seem like a great idea at the time, they will join you a couple of times and that will be it. Buy something suitable for you and the wife and something that won't require a humongous tow vehicle. You'll be a happy camper.

Latest resources

Back