Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mdreyer99

RVF Newbee
So I have been thinking about dumping the brick and stick and doing a fulltime RV lifestyle. Been doing research and educating myself for the past few years about all things related to this…except one thing. What is the best RV (5th wheel/class A) is best for just me and my wife and our 2 dogs. I don’t need bunk space, etc but do need a way we could both work.

Thoughts?

This is a very broad question that only you can narrow down based on budget, etc. The common theme in picking the "right RV for you" is floorplan. You have to like the house you live in and the layout, amenities, etc. You have to decide based on any vehicles you own or want to buy if you want to tow or pull behind. Best thing to do is start looking, online, dealers, go to RV shows, etc.

I'm gonna enjoy watching this thread!

Work from, can be tricky! For instance. My vision is towing a cargo trailer behind that would serve as a shop. Others would be thinking about how to dual purpose an office space. I will only cover those two views knowing that the answer is as diverse as life itself!

I lean towards older, low price options, because modifying the interior will not change the value much! Or may greatly improve saleablity should you become disheartened with the lifestyle.

I liken the right floor plan, with intent to live in the environment, to choosing what motel room to live in! The appeal will dye in short order unless you make it yours. Then as fulltimers you will need to store what you take out, so you can return your home to original, so original value can be maintained.

The most content fulltimers have followed this path! After all it will be your home, and you want that feel not the feel you are in someone else's motel. Every one of my RVS was extensively modified to suit myself and my better half, except for the one I had to worry about value. I was least content with that one.

As would be said to someone looking at building a tiny house. You should plan for reduced space while not changing your lifestyle. It is still your home!!!

Oh yah!!! My best fit is 5th towing a cargo (shop)... cargos also make great office space.

Do you both need to work inside? When my wife has to work while we’re camping, she sets up at the picnic table.

It seems like an RV that had two bedrooms could work well for this. Set up an office in the second bedroom, and use the dining table for the other. This might better suit some types of jobs than others. My wife is an engineering manager, and is in meetings pretty much forty hours per week. I’m self employed and communicate 99.9% via email, so I’m fine anywhere.

So I have been thinking about dumping the brick and stick and doing a fulltime RV lifestyle. Been doing research and educating myself for the past few years about all things related to this…except one thing. What is the best RV (5th wheel/class A) is best for just me and my wife and our 2 dogs. I don’t need bunk space, etc but do need a way we could both work.

Thoughts?
To add to Neal's reply. It sounds like you don't presently have an RV. So, once you have considered your options as to pulling (Motor Home and towed) or being pulled (fifth wheel or trailer) then you should consider renting a unit similar to your choice if you can. You will then have a better feel for what you can take with you and what you will have to shed from your stick and brick. Trust me. You will be leaving plenty behind using either option.

We have been "comfortably" full timing now for almost six years. We have a small gasser Class A and tow a Wrangler. We learned real quick that one doesn't need a lot of "stuff". We are only two plus a small dog. We didn't buy a coach that slept 7 for that reason. We did buy a Class A simply because we found they have way more usable storage space that a C or B. Most travel trailers will be lacking outside accessible storage space as well. I equate that as like buying a house without a garage. Choosing the right unit will make a world of a difference. Also remember, the larger the unit the more restricted you will be finding a place to park at night but by all means get something that YOU will be comfortable in.

Good luck and safe travels

Darrell

To add to Neal's reply. It sounds like you don't presently have an RV. So, once you have considered your options as to pulling (Motor Home and towed) or being pulled (fifth wheel or trailer) then you should consider renting a unit similar to your choice if you can. You will then have a better feel for what you can take with you and what you will have to shed from your stick and brick. Trust me. You will be leaving plenty behind using either option.

We have been "comfortably" full timing now for almost six years. We have a small gasser Class A and tow a Wrangler. We learned real quick that one doesn't need a lot of "stuff". We are only two plus a small dog. We didn't buy a coach that slept 7 for that reason. We did buy a Class A simply because we found they have way more usable storage space that a C or B. Most travel trailers will be lacking outside accessible storage space as well. I equate that as like buying a house without a garage. Choosing the right unit will make a world of a difference. Also remember, the larger the unit the more restricted you will be finding a place to park at night but by all means get something that YOU will be comfortable in.

Good luck and safe travels

Darrell
Or more descriptive, a house without a basement!!!😉 I always lamented the loss of my garage, but then I used it for intended purpose, towards the last.

Thanks for all the replies. To add more context. Yes I am still debating between 5th wheel and class A (with a toad). We need internet access and can work inside or out but obviously inside on bad weather days. Dogs are goldens. I get there are different floor plans but just wondering if anyone has specific recommendations. Looking for a 2017 - 2020. Don’t want anything new. I think RVs are overpriced right now.

Latest resources

Back