Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Fernando Sr

RVF Regular
The tire that comes with my gulf stream 14RBC travel trailer seems kinda of light duty the rv has a dry weight 2230 tongue weight 220 cargo weight 1040 is there a more beefed up version of tire and rims?

Can you tell us the tire you have now?

What size tire and rim and what is the GVW of the trailer plus how many axles?

First thing is forget the dry weight. You will never tow it at that weight. You need to think of the GVW when looking for things like tires. Maxxis makes a good trailer tire and so does Sailun and so does Goodyear.

ST 185/80D13
Single Axle
This tire is rated at 1725 lbs at 65 PSI. It's not a radial tire, it's bias ply tire. Load range D. Back in the 1960's and 70's this type of tire was found on smaller type cars like a Plymouth Valient or Dodge Dart or a Ford Falcon. It's a pretty light duty tire in my opinion. I'd also try to find a wheel that was a 14" or 15" diameter so you could get a good heavy radial tire. 13" wheels spin much faster at highway speeds than a 15" wheel would. This increases the heat on the 13" tire which is a major cause of tire failure. A taller tire will help.

Goodyear ENDURANCE is a common tire that many RVers prefer to upgrade with!

This tire is rated at 1725 lbs at 65 PSI. It's not a radial tire, it's bias ply tire. Load range D. Back in the 1960's and 70's this type of tire was found on smaller type cars like a Plymouth Valient or Dodge Dart or a Ford Falcon. It's a pretty light duty tire in my opinion. I'd also try to find a wheel that was a 14" or 15" diameter so you could get a good heavy radial tire. 13" wheels spin much faster at highway speeds than a 15" wheel would. This increases the heat on the 13" tire which is a major cause of tire failure. A taller tire will help.
Wow, that makes me feel like I come from the stone age ... I drove some of those cars with these tires... :)

Latest resources

Back