• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Best Trailer??

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’m just now getting in the market for a towable. I’ve been reading a bit about different manufacturers and how some have gone down hill in recent years. Who are the best and worst? Looking for a bunkhouse model with one slide out. Appreciate any guidance.
There's definitely a lot TT's out there to choose from, some better than others for sure. I have had several Forest River trailers, the last one being the Surveyor 245BH had it for 5 years was a great trailer, didn't have any major issues with it aside from normal wear and tear.
Had been wanting to upgrade to something a bit nicer and now that my kids are older didn’t need a bunk house anymore.
After lots of research I chose the Ember 26RB Touring Edition, for the build quality and features they offered. Ember does have two Bunk House models that are both similar and very nice, you might check out.
It’s hard to find a good rig out there, it's even harder to find one with good customer service that you can rely on. I had an issue with one of the dual pane acrylic windows, Ember stepped right up made an exception and shipped the replacement window direct to me rather than having to go through a dealer. Typically, they’d ship to a dealer to perform and warranty issues.
I’m not affiliated with Ember aside from a being happy customer.

We have a 2012 Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3008W and are pleased with the build. It was 10 years old when we bought so someone else went through the "new RV" issues. Before that our "newest" RV was a lat 70s or early 80s Starcraft popup so we cannot really offer any opinion on anything like a new build. Our current layout is great for two but not really set up for any more than that.

Last edited:
We have a 2012 Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3008W and are pleased with the build. It waas 10 years old when we bought so someone else went through the "new RV" issues. Before that our "newest" RV was a lat 70s or early 80s Starcraft popup so we cannot really offer any opinion on anything like a new build. Our current layout is great for two but not really set up for any more than that.
It is safe to say trailers at least 10 years old,have seen some form of transformation. I personally only know of one trailer that has not!!!

So older trailers in some opinion have been improved upon!!!

I worked on machines for years, the ones that were the most dependable were the ones with the least moving parts. We had a phrase KIS, Keep It Simple .

Rockwood and it's twin sister brand Flagstaff are considered well built and a good value for the money. I would suggest avoiding anything with Schwintek slide mechanisms.

I agree with the schwintek issue. Everyone I know including myself have nothing but problems with them.

This brings us to the other side of the equation—owners not understanding how the system works and proper operation. We have said this time and again: The unit must be level and secure before extending or retracting the room, otherwise the twisting and resistance on the gear and motor will create issues. Most trailer and 5th wheel owners pull into the campground and extend the rooms before doing this, as it requires them to go outside to extend the stabilizers or jacks. Even if the unit is level, the weight of the room extending can twist the sidewall at the opening just enough to put resistance to the fastening points such as the rivets. Once the rails are loose, it’s not long before there is a problem.

Also, one of the biggest issues according to the Schwintek technician is synchronizing the motors. In the owner’s manual, it states that when extending or retracting, keep the button pushed in even after the room touches the wall and until the motor stops. This allows the two motors to “sync” back together. Most RV manufacturers do not build a slide room with the same weight on each side of the room, so one motor may be required to work harder than the other. Plus, no RV owner packs their ”stuff” with weight distribution in mind, so the motors will get out of sync.

Most owners let go of the button when the room touches the side as the motors start to “whine” like they are going to burn up! So the more the room gets extended and retracted without the synchronizing procedure, the more the motors get out of sync or alignment and eventually stop working due to the resistance.

Bob

T
This brings us to the other side of the equation—owners not understanding how the system works and proper operation. We have said this time and again: The unit must be level and secure before extending or retracting the room, otherwise the twisting and resistance on the gear and motor will create issues. Most trailer and 5th wheel owners pull into the campground and extend the rooms before doing this, as it requires them to go outside to extend the stabilizers or jacks. Even if the unit is level, the weight of the room extending can twist the sidewall at the opening just enough to put resistance to the fastening points such as the rivets. Once the rails are loose, it’s not long before there is a problem.

Also, one of the biggest issues according to the Schwintek technician is synchronizing the motors. In the owner’s manual, it states that when extending or retracting, keep the button pushed in even after the room touches the wall and until the motor stops. This allows the two motors to “sync” back together. Most RV manufacturers do not build a slide room with the same weight on each side of the room, so one motor may be required to work harder than the other. Plus, no RV owner packs their ”stuff” with weight distribution in mind, so the motors will get out of sync.

Most owners let go of the button when the room touches the side as the motors start to “whine” like they are going to burn up! So the more the room gets extended and retracted without the synchronizing procedure, the more the motors get out of sync or alignment and eventually stop working due to the resistance.

Bob
Those are indeed the proper ways to keep from having Schwintek issues BUT I use all the proper procedures and still have problems. It's well known within the industry. I would add that you must have fully charged batteries before operating the slide.

Of course, there is nothing indicating one way or the other that the slide was built and installed per Schwintek specs. I think we have all seen too many factory errors for one reason or another in the RV industry.

Regarding batteries and charging of same, I see too many posts where it is apparent folks do not understand the electrical systems on their RVs. No, we are not supposed to be an Electrical Engineer but a bit of study and common sense should prevail.

Bob

Latest resources

Back