Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Best way to get at shower connection to change spigot-faucet?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Teflon tape does no good with these fittings. It is a rubber gasket that presses into the 1/2 inch pipe that provides the seal. Many of the factory fittings have poor quality gaskets. The best to have are the pex brand with large convex black washer and it is the same for the faucet connections. They are a cheap quick connection and they will leak out the back if the gasket does not seat well.
The teflon tape for this aplication is not for leaks, it helps the plastic fittings remain tight...... at least in my experience.

Ok! Sometimes a picture!
What I have found is in tight spaces it is very difficult to connect to a faucets directly with pex. Cross threading is very common, even I have had the issue. How far down? If you use a hose you can loop it to shorten it as in the inclosed picture. I would shoot for easy to get to.

You will see the band! It doesn't come off and they require a tool to install, however shark bite fittings are readily available that don't require any special tools.

As @TheLooks said Teflon tape will not stop the leak! More than likely it will just make things worse. The rubber washer does all the work here, and a cross threaded connector will not allow a completely compressed washer.

I understand my picture is under the kitchen sink! The hardware doesn't care, and it was easier to take a picture.
17012922900704274608808469605318.jpg

1701293888505515596539809794823.jpg

Second picture is under the bathroom sink, I had to replace my, just installed faucet, because I thought to save a buck! In the end I had to buy two faucets because I tried to use the pex and crossthreaded and destroyed the thread on the new faucet, and buy the proper parts for a quality install!!! Maybe warranty work will cost the manufacturers enough where they learn there is a right way and a wrong way, time will tell!!!

Ok! Sometimes a picture!
What I have found is in tight spaces it is very difficult to connect to a faucets directly with pex. Cross threading is very common, even I have had the issue. How far down? If you use a hose you can loop it to shorten it as in the inclosed picture. I would shoot for easy to get to.

You will see the band! It doesn't come off and they require a tool to install, however shark bite fittings are readily available that don't require any special tools.

As @TheLooks said Teflon tape will not stop the leak! More than likely it will just make things worse. The rubber washer does all the work here, and a cross threaded connector will not allow a completely compressed washer.

I understand my picture is under the kitchen sink! The hardware doesn't care, and it was easier to take a picture. View attachment 21953
View attachment 21956
Second picture is under the bathroom sink, I had to replace my, just installed faucet, because I thought to save a buck! In the end I had to buy two faucets because I tried to use the pex and crossthreaded and destroyed the thread on the new faucet, and buy the proper parts for a quality install!!! Maybe warranty work will cost the manufacturers enough where they learn there is a right way and a wrong way, time will tell!!!

Good to see how you did it. A friend, who stopped by and had a look and said he thinks he can get it going at that access point using shark bite fittings. So he's on a similar track as you. Thanks!

After mentioning them, I went to a rig yesterday that had a bunch of the flexible 1/2 to 1/2 faucet type connectors on the back of the wet bay. Or so I thought. 2 were leaking and no amount of tightening or loosening them would stop it. I pulled them out and it said hand tighten, no tools on the back of the connectors. Then I realized the washers in them were not the same as the ones I use. They fit more inside the male pipe then seal on the edge of it. I put mine on and it solved the problem.

Latest resources

Back