Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Best way to get at shower connection to change spigot-faucet?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LookingRound

RVF Regular
After looking at a number of videos on Youtube it seems many have easier access than me (although a few have even less). Mine only has this hole under the spigot (whose covering unscrews). Only by using my camera can I see what's going on. I can't pull the water hose connections out to where I can get at them better because they just go in their own holes in the wall. I see there are what seem to be some type of squeeze clamps holding the hose on to the spigot. There is water leaking from somewhere in these connections behind the shower wall. Also the front has a lot of water coming from the spigot. Any advice on the best way for me to tackle this would be appreciated? Thanks.

Attachments

• d access point in shower.jpg
    d access point in shower.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 11
  • a white connection in wall.jpg
    a white connection in wall.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 12
  • b shower spigot front after loosening.jpg
    b shower spigot front after loosening.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
  • c connection to spigot inside wall .jpg
    c connection to spigot inside wall .jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 9
Many times your only choice is to cut a hole behind the shower. Those connections are screw on with a small rubber gasket inside. IF you manage to get to them, replace the gasket at the least. The white object is the threaded washer that holds the faucet assembly to the shower wall.

Yes, I unscrewed those white connectors but it only pulled an inch away from the shower wall. Pretty drastic cutting a hole from the other side as it's the washer closet (with no washer in it but it's connectors are right where the showers connectors are in height) which has it's regular wall plus there's a thin wood wall in between. Definitely could be done but fairly invasive. If you look at the picture of my shower it's different from some showers in that they have a box plus the base of the faucet. Mine just has the base. I wonder if I couldn't try to get that extra base on there somehow so I could pull the water hoses out from the front and connect them and then reseal it?

Attachments

• inside washer closet.jpg
    inside washer closet.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • shower spigot.jpg
    shower spigot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Pex has almost no flex. I usually use stainless flexible faucet connectors to help the next guy. 1/2 inch pipe thread, female on both ends. Cut off the cheap female screw on and clamp on a male 1/2 inch pipe thread to 1/2 male pex. Then you can pull it out of the wall.

Take the (Hot/Cold) handles off to get to the faceplate off. Should be two screw holding the assembly on the wall. Buy all new stuff and reassemble. Good luck

Looks to me you have an access panel below the washer hookups. I'm in agreement that you should dump the pex for proper flexible hose hookups.

Looks to me you have an access panel below the washer hookups. I'm in agreement that you should dump the pex for proper flexible hose hookups.
The access point just goes to another piece of wood with the shower wall on the other side. It seems to run the length of the closet. Not sure why it's there. When you say dump the Pex how far down would I have to go to change it out? Thanks

Take the (Hot/Cold) handles off to get to the faceplate off. Should be two screw holding the assembly on the wall. Buy all new stuff and reassemble. Good luck
I did take the handles off after undoing the screws and undid the white nut in the back of the wall but it still would let me bring the faucet forward. It has to be disconnected from the water hoses with their clips. A possible way would be to cut a square in the wall and replace it with a bezel. I've only found 1 on Amazon. Some said it's flimsy but might do the trick. Otherwise my friend suggests cutting the cables at the access point below the faucet and has a sure connection to join the hoses where one can see what they're doing.

Did you remove the panel on the wall under your washer hook ups? You should be able to reach in from that opening to access the hot & cold lines. Try to tighten them first before you remove and replace. They will quite often become loose and begin leaking over time and require tightening. The all plastic fixtures will also crack with age.

To remove, you need to unscrew the black connectors to be able to unscrew the white retainers then pull the faucet forward from inside the shower. There's no need to remove the hot & cold handles. When installing a new fixture, wrap the threads with white plumbers tape before attaching water lines.

Attachments

• Shower.jpg
    Shower.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Teflon tape does no good with these fittings. It is a rubber gasket that presses into the 1/2 inch pipe that provides the seal. Many of the factory fittings have poor quality gaskets. The best to have are the pex brand with large convex black washer and it is the same for the faucet connections. They are a cheap quick connection and they will leak out the back if the gasket does not seat well.

Latest resources

Back