Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cmhewitt

RVF Newbee
Looking at a sizable lithium upgrade to our Class A battery system and wondering if all that battery power can be leveraged for providing backup power to our house while at home? I’m either needing the batteries on the road, or when at home, never really both. It seems foolish and expensive to have a bank of batteries sitting in the RV that I can’t use during a power outage, or worse yet a duplicate set of batteries in the house. Have a 22kW whole-home generator that I can charge the batteries with, but would love to reduce the run time in that to hours per day rather than all day, largely at very light loading.

I’m envisioning it would operate a bit like the bi-directional charge that Ford offers for their F150EV, but may not be quite as seamless, which is OK. I’d even be happy to have some manual enabling of the system when needed, so maybe an AC coupling plug-in would be best. Living out in the country, we’ve had multiple power outages of 2-9days, so this is with longer duration term temp power needs in mind.

Anyone contemplate or attempt such as system or have thought on design approach?

Thanks.

Chad

Latest resources

Back