Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Howard Freeman

RVF Regular
First-time RVer here, planning on renting a Class C and driving to Big Bend in about a month. Two adults and two teenage sons.

I'd like to go to Big Bend since we live near San Antonio and none of us have been there. I see Maverick Ranch reviewed elsewhere on here as just ok, since it's the only one around in a remote area. Any experiences y'all have had here or elsewhere? Like over in Terlingua or nearby.

Thanks for any advice at all.

Cheers.

Maverick Ranch is the nicest park in the Big Bend area. Unfortunately, its about a 25-30 minute drive to the entrance of BB. There are parks inside BB but they are all near the river where the heat will be unbearable.

You mention going in "about a month". Beware, its going to be hotter than hades in July or August. Expect daytime temps in excess of 100°. Take a minimum of 1 gallon of water per person per day.

I recommend visiting Davis Mountains State Park rather than Big Bend during this time of year.

Big Bend is absolutely awesome...in November! Davis Mountains State Park tends to be about 10 degrees cooler than surrounding areas, and has the McDonald Observatory nearby.

Howard, if you decide to go to Davis Mountains State Park, try to make reservations as far in advance as possible as its usually full. Check the McDonald Observatory website if they are having the "star party' and make reservations. Fort Davis is an interesting small town with a neat drug store for breakfast, lunch, or hand-dipped ice cream. The Fort Davis National Historic Site is interesting. The scenic loop drive will take you by the observatory and Marfa with the mysterious Marfa lights is not far.
If and when you go to Big Bend, let me know and I can recommend so "can't miss" places - just wait until its cooler. We generally go in the spring to catch the cactus blooms.

Latest resources

Back