Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
I have an E bike that I will be making part of my standard equipment on board. I am thinking of using a receiver hitch flat bed to carry firewood so was thinking of putting a reiver hitch on the front of the coach on the generator slide out frame for a bike rack. On my first trip out I put the bike on one of the slide out basement trays but as I continue to outfit the coach I am sure I will need the space. Once I get the Canyon set up as my TOAD, I'll have more options for carrying a bike as well. Just wondering what others do.

This is my setup but they're lighter regular bikes. Then can switch the bike rack to the back of the Jeep when local use is needed.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 16
This was our setup when we had Ebikes using a Kuat nv2.0 rack on back of the coach above the tow bar. We went back to pedal type bikes and use the same setup now.
20210526_182634.jpg
20220530_092128.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a rack for our two ebikes and I'm seeing ads that say "Not for use on a motor home". But why is that? What's the difference if I have it behind a motor home or a Jeep?

When we searched for the one we have, basically that means they have not certified for on the back of a motorhome. You will find the same thing on some that are not for use on a vehicle when towed behind a motorhome.

Personally I think it is to cover their bases since they didn’t specifically test that configuration and the overall stresses etc are a bit different depending on where you mount it.

ETrailer has some good filters for searching what they carry that are certified for those uses.

We've been happy with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09T9BCPNS/?tag=rvf01-20

120# capacity, sturdy and easy on/off. If we're hauling our toad and bikes.. the bike rack goes on the Jeep.

Going by carrying capacity, many racks are light weight. Put them on the rear of a coach where every bump is amplified by the distance to the rear wheels and the rack is hanging out there getting tossed about. And I'm sure some is CYA as @DennisT mentioned.

My bikes will ride on a hitch mounted rack on the jeep. That way I can take the bikes with me to trails or other places away from the coach. I’m combining a typical hitch-mount two-bike rack with a hitch-mount cargo rack (probably the same as what you are using for firewood) to ensure its strong and secure enough.

I'm on the hunt for a rack for our two ebikes and I'm seeing ads that say "Not for use on a motor home". But why is that? What's the difference if I have it behind a motor home or a Jeep?
Typically a rack that folds/pivots will not be "certified" for a motorhome. I went with Kuat and love it.

Typically a rack that folds/pivots will not be "certified" for a motorhome. I went with Kuat and love it.

I know you did. I actually did a forum search before I posted. lol How often does that happen, right? But at the end of the day, it turns out you have more disposable income than me. . . :)

From my observations, on a RV the distance from the rear axle to the bike rack creates more violent movements which will create more stress that a typical passenger vehicle.

Watching how much the rear bike racks jump around on bumps (on the back of travel trailers) makes me not want to use a bike rack on the RV, unless it was significantly strengthened.

Latest resources

Back