• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Blade fuse oxidation?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think diesel pusher gave you a bit of a hint, when it comes to looking for better fuses. The "audio engineer" hint reminded me that high power automotive stereo fuses have gold plated blades. You might want to hit up a local auto stereo shop, (that sells high output amps), and see what they might have available. It'll be spendy, as fuses go, but if it cures your difficulties.........

Roger

Use Deoxit. I've also used cosmoline to keep moisture away.

Hi folks. My awning is real finicky. I hit the switch and it may moveba little and stop.I often have to remove and re-insert the fuse to get it to go. I noticed what looks like oxidation on the blades. Not sure the bathroom is the bes place fir electrical boxes. I had to replace the fuse this morning to get the awning to work, even though the old fuse tested good.

I have nit tried cleaning the blade with anything.

Anyhow, I am not sure what is best to use on the fuse blades to prevent this.
Want to go a different route! I have made a few under qualified assumptions. So far I understand the box is in the bathroom. I don't know if this is the full bath or??? I don't know if this is the 12v load center, or for the awnings only. I get the 50 to 70 % humidity, but don't know the dew point, or how close you come to that point on the wall in question. Is this room used for the shower, and if you use the exhaust fan when, and if, you have the shower in that room. I also don't know if you're walls get wet during such activity.

Trying to understand why you are having corrosion issues in the first place. Most fuse blocks I have had experience with for blade fuses, the contacts are nothing more than spade connectors. If this has been going on for some time those connectors could have heated up enough to lose the temper and may have deformed slightly. Grease would definitely help keep the corrosion down, but I would never offer such a solution to a client, it's just to messy. The suggestions I would make would be: use an exhaust fan when creating steem. Also I would suggest a space heater to bring the room up above the dew point.

As an alternative to those suggestions I might recommend a cover for the box that had enough sealing ability to keep moisture out. A picture frame with a rubber sealing surface comes to mind, with a desiccant holding pouch built in.

Furthermore I would take my pockknife out and tighten the grip on the fuse terminal so it wouldn't happen again.
Because I look for solutions rather than just make things work, that is what I would do for myself.

I have not observed water in the electrical cabinet. There is only one bathroom containing shower, and I do use the fan when showering and often to draw in fresh air. There is no cover on the fuse block and the contacts are deep in the block. There are connections coming out on all sides of the block, so it would be difficult to cover it.I cannot even see them. My concern was whether or not dielectric grease, or deoxit, would help or worsen the connection.

IMG_1780.jpeg

It will not worsen the contact, and will protect it from moisture. But it can be messy.

Added note:
Some greases have silver suspended in it, and enhance connection. I will not offer names because I would have to research it again. As I recall heat sink grease does.

Use Deoxit spray, it dries on the surface creating a protective barrier like grease but won't attract/accumulate dust & debris like grease can.

Ok. Cleaned all of the fuses with Deoxit, then put a thin coating of anti- oxidation grease on them.

Awning problem stiil exists. I think the front awning arm piston needs replacing. I have to keep lubricating it to get the awning to operate smoothly. After a while it gets real noisy. My thought is when the motor experiences too much resistance, it shuts off and needs to be reset. Thus removing the fuse and putting it back in restores motor operation. Will be watching this.

Latest resources

Back