RV Year
RV Make
Keystone
RV Model
Hideout
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Fortunately, we weren’t going too fast. Boom! My first encounter with this type of thing. Previous owner may have mistreated these with sun exposure. Theoretically, this single axle rk174 Hideout is a ’21, so the tires are about 3 years old, but I don’t know how many miles were on them when I got the unit. I’ve put about 8k on them. Fellow sold the rig to me after only 3 months of ownership. Didn’t like the lifestyle.
I was told Walmart has the best prices. That appears to be the truth. Are their brands reliable?
Do I need a new rim, as per the slight dent caused by the blowout?
thanks for any advise on getting some new rubber.

Attachments

• IMG_7286.jpeg
    IMG_7286.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7287.jpeg
    IMG_7287.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
I will only buy US made trailer tires and I have had very good experiences with Goodyear Endurance on my equipment, horse, dump, and utility trailers. I recently learned that Carlisle trailer tires are US made (Jackson Tn) and I’m willing to try them although I have no experience with them. I have had enough experience with Chinese trailer tires to never use them again. The damage on that tire looks structural, not age, milage, exposure, or wear related. If inflation was maintained properly, it was most likely a manufacturing defect.

I will only buy US made trailer tires and I have had very good experiences with Goodyear Endurance on my equipment, horse, dump, and utility trailers. I recently learned that Carlisle trailer tires are US made (Jackson Tn) and I’m willing to try them although I have no experience with them. I have had enough experience with Chinese trailer tires to never use them again. The damage on that tire looks structural, not age, milage, exposure, or wear related. If inflation was maintained properly, it was most likely a manufacturing defect.
Thanks. I’ve never seen a blown out tire, but this one could definitely be a structural defect, as you’ve said. I think I’ll try the Carlisle’s. Need to see if the rim is ok, tho.

Does look like the rim took some abuse but you can probably fix that.

I agree.....the rim isn't that bad. A few careful whacks with a hammer and dolly in the right spot(s), and it'll be straight enough to seal up a tire. Then, you can look for another rim at your leisure, if so inclined.

Good luck with the tire shop.....Roger

Does look like the rim took some abuse but you can probably fix that.
Another fellow said it looks similar to a couple blowouts he had. He seemed convinced they were caused by potholes. The stretch of road I was on didn't have any potholes that I remember. I might be more inclined to say his were a product defect, but I'll find out what brand tire he was using.

We had 15” Carlisle tire on a dolly for 5years and 25,000 miles. Maybe ~2000lb load. Stored inside and kept at 50psi. Still had excellent tread when sold dolly. No sidewall cracks or other damage. Would buy again

We had 15” Carlisle tire on a dolly for 5years and 25,000 miles. Maybe ~2000lb load. Stored inside and kept at 50psi. Still had excellent tread when sold dolly. No sidewall cracks or other damage. Would buy again
There was some discussion that the Carlisle's sold at Walmart are inferior, but I'm hesitant to believe that. Walmart might have some unorthodox practices to obtain the lowest prices from their suppliers, but I don't think a manufacturer of tires would cut product quality on their model, just for WM.

I've seen several examples of value engineering specific to a single, high volume buyer. The one that sticks in my head the best was the Honda push mower dad bought for ~$500 at an actual equipment dealer, homeless despot had the exact same model shortly thereafter for ~$450. The tires had less rubber molded around the plastic wheels, the wheels were mounted directly on axle bolts vs. on ball bearings as dad's had. The handle had less adjustability and the belt guard beneath the deck to the self propel transmission was smaller offering less protection. That's the extent of what I found in onpy 10 minutes looking over the one in HD. I know car/motorcycle/lawn batteries see this too, only it's much easier to conceal hardware submerged in sulfuric acid.

Sadly you have to check the UPC BAR code to insure it is same model as expected at any Large Retailer. Large Volume purchases can drive a unique set of features, components. Appliances, electronics, and equipment are typical types that can have a wide variety of models.

Latest resources

Back