Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Blue Ox coiled 7 to 6 pin harness used in conjunction with Mopar Jeep harness.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Chuggs

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40’
TOW/TOAD
Jeep JKU
Just replaced my worn out Blue Ox coiled toad umbilical. When I did...no lights :(

Upon...further investigation the 6-pin end of the cord has a different pin outs for 12vdc+ and Trailer Brake.

Most folks only use the Running Lights, Left Turn/Brake, Right Turn/Brake, and Ground for their toads...but the Mopar Harness additionally uses 12 VDC+ to power the Toad lighting from the coach...and if the 12vdc+ isn’t present...none of the toads lighting will work.

Once I figured it out...it only took a few minutes to move a wire in the Blue Ox 6-pin receptacle on the Jeep end...and with the 12 VDC + getting to the Mopar harness...everything is working again.

Just thought I would pass this along for those using this setup...to avoid unnecessary grief.

Does Blue Ox have any documentation on the wiring for the new cable and did they have it for the old?

Does Blue Ox have any documentation on the wiring for the new cable and did they have it for the old?
Not really...just comes with the cord, and a 6-pin receptacle for you to add onto the base plate of the toad. Etrailer.com has some diagrams.

When I originally wired it...I was cutting into the Mopar 7-pin cable...to adapt to the Blue Ox receptacle. I used the continuity test feature of my Voltmeter to map everything.

I have a copy of the two pinouts...kept them on my ipad...I'll post them.

Last edited:
BCFE072E-3E5F-4A98-A26C-CCAD12C2EDC0.jpeg

Above: A clip I saved from wiring the original Blue Ox connector. Note the position of the 12v+ (red) and Brake controller (blue) On the “6-Wire End”.

Below: This is the way the new one is wired...with 12v+ going to the center pin shown with black wire...and the Brake Controller has swapped positions as well.

2B41B35F-D234-4807-8DE8-540231151FF5.jpeg

That's 100% messed up!!!

It might surprise someone with a trailer brake system... Buy a new harness and suddenly your trailer brake is set the minute you turn the tow vehicle on.

The original Blue Ox umbilical had plugs that you can actually remove vs molded on. I was able to cut out the offending piece with wrecked insulation and rewire this plug to the new standard. Nice to have a backup. Maybe I need to consider what will happend when my AirForce1 coiled air hose breaks...might need to put a spare of that away for a rainy day. Work is never done...

20200126_102253.jpg

Have you reached out to Blue Ox to see what they say about changing the wiring pattern? This shouldn't go unreported.

Have you reached out to Blue Ox to see what they say about changing the wiring pattern? This shouldn't go unreported.

I honestly think most RV component mfg. simply buy whatever China has to sell us, for the most part. I believe they weld and fabricate the tow bars...but the accessories are probably purchased from other sources.

If they invented a New pattern...it might be worth thier attention. Both of these pin outs are documented standards...so it's hard to put blame on Blue Ox.

In practice...both pin outs have the main components (Running Lights, Left Turn/Stop, Right Turn/Stop, and Ground in the same (proper) orientation...so no one is likely to notice. We have a Wells Cargo trailer with electric brakes...and since it doesn't go on the road without a tow vehicle...it has a permanent cord with a 7-pin plug. I believe these coiled umbilical cords are more than likely isolated to vehicles being towed...which can also operate independent of a tow vehicle...thus the desire to remove the cord when not needed.

I honestly think there are just a few of us that went to the trouble of hooking up our 2013 to 2017 year model Jeeps lighting with the Mopar wiring gadget. But they are the ones impacted by this change.
Screenshot_20200126-112851_Chrome Beta.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to review mine to make sure the charge current is going to the right place. Thanks for the info above. Ignorance is not bliss so I need to verify mine. My lights work fine but the charge connection I need to validate.

Latest resources

Back