Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Blue Ox coiled 7 to 6 pin harness used in conjunction with Mopar Jeep harness.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Here’s the coils for some reason they changed the way they were wired. Smh
F3F2AE06-FD4A-4575-8320-AA9E98690BC7.jpeg

They evidently have multiple “Standards” for six pin connectors. Blue Ox must have adopted one...while the majority of the industry chose the other. It looks like they have now decided to go with the more widely adopted standard.

If your toad is only using the umbilical for lighting...then four wires are enough (usually). Your White is ground...and the green, yellow, brown are for Brake, Left signal/running light, Right signal/running light... Other wires are usually Blue for an electric brake signal...which might be applied when towing boats, or cargo trailers, ...and Red 12v+...which generally is used for charging the battery used to power electric brakes in a breakaway condition. The Mopar (Jeep) OEM wiring harness uses coach power...so the 12v+ is used in it as well. On the 7-pin to 7-pin...a back-up light signal is commonly added...

Confusing...sometimes...easy to sort out...sometimes...reliable...sometimes. It’s what we have to deal with for the convenience of towing.

Yeah...the simplest thing to do is connect it to the coach, and use a multi-meter or test probe to map the terminals. I use a probe to see which wire in the toad goes to which light.

allsun Digital Automotive Electrical Circuit Tester 2-24V DC Pen Type Vehicle Diagnostic Tool Auto Electrical System Diagnosis Test Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZRQRJR/?tag=rvf01-20

I was just amazed...after having installed the Blue Ox gear on my Jeep in 2016...then, when I replaced the cord...having it not work. At first, I thought I had received a bad cord. After testing continuity, the cord wasn’t bad, but in a different configuration. This is obviously a bit frustrating.
That’s what I did with my cord. Sat on the ground at the back of the coach with my tester. My wife on the driver seat turning on lights, turn signals etc. while I was mapping on a piece of paper all the pins on the coach receptacle. Than I made sure the pins on the Cord and toad match the ones on the coach. It took some time, but it worked ????

They evidently have multiple “Standards” for six pin connectors. Blue Ox must have adopted one...while the majority of the industry chose the other. It looks like they have now decided to go with the more widely adopted standard.

If your toad is only using the umbilical for lighting...then four wires are enough (usually). Your White is ground...and the green, yellow, brown are for Brake, Left signal/running light, Right signal/running light... Other wires are usually Blue for an electric brake signal...which might be applied when towing boats, or cargo trailers, ...and Red 12v+...which generally is used for charging the battery used to power electric brakes in a breakaway condition. The Mopar (Jeep) OEM wiring harness uses coach power...so the 12v+ is used in it as well. On the 7-pin to 7-pin...a back-up light signal is commonly added...

Confusing...sometimes...easy to sort out...sometimes...reliable...sometimes. It’s what we have to deal with for the convenience of towing.

confusing to say the least, I went to change the toad plug and used the diagram that was posted, but it didn’t line up correctly I had to move the white wire over and reverse the yellow and green blinkers I’ll know if that worked when I get the road tomorrow

I quite using Blue Ox lighting kit when I had my 2017 Jeep JK and you turn on the turn signal and step on the brake the turn signal would stop flashing. I call Blue Ox and the tech ask me how often do I applly the brakes with the turn signal on. I told him everytime I make turn and he said the majority of people don't. I called Roadmaster and they had fix that I had installed.

As far as the cord I have done several new ends and one dragged and I allways just wire it straight though and don't pay any attention to colors and they have worked for me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back