RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
Eagle 319 MLOK
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Hi everyone,
Starting to plan a trip to the northeast and have one route in mind. I have driven the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive from on end to the other and it is a beautiful drive.
I would like to do the drive with my 5th wheel but it has been years (early 80's) since I did the drive and that was on a motorcycle. I know it is only a two lane road and curvy but my concern is the low bridges along the way.
I was hoping that someone on here has ever done the drive from start to finish?
Are there sections that you have to miss because of the low clearance's?
I know there are camp site along the way with some being a little off the drive or pkwy.

Any idea or help is appreciated!!

I would be concerned with the tunnel clearances.

Whoa !!!! I thought there was only one tunnel that would be too low for me to fit! Now I see there are three but all three are near the end. (I hope the southern end) Thanks for the heads up!!

Darrell

Not sure the size of your rig, but having driven a good portion of that road, it is a spectacular drive. With a larger rig and the constantly curving and many narrow areas I would not be able to enjoy the scenery while driving a larger rig and navigating all the distracted drivers.

It is a very cool drive - in a car - when it is easy to look around and make quick/sudden stops to see views and wild life - especially in the fall/color season.

Not sure the size of your rig, but having driven a good portion of that road, it is a spectacular drive. With a larger rig and the constantly curving and many narrow areas I would not be able to enjoy the scenery while driving a larger rig and navigating all the distracted drivers.

It is a very cool drive - in a car - when it is easy to look around and make quick/sudden stops to see views and wild life - especially in the fall/color season.
Just to add to the above, there will not be many if any pull outs large enough for you to stop.

The question on My mind is. Is there a driver service you can delegate the driving to so you can enjoy the scenery??? Like Uber!

We had 4 MH on a BR overlook just south of Galax, Va. Can't find the about 2012 photo. But we put our rigs on a very short section of the BR. We picked it carefully to avoid tunnels, repair work etc. But we drove our toads on the entire length. Picked CG close enough and we drove it in sections.

We had 4 MH on a BR overlook just south of Galax, Va. Can't find the about 2012 photo. But we put our rigs on a very short section of the BR. We picked it carefully to avoid tunnels, repair work etc. But we drove our toads on the entire length. Picked CG close enough and we drove it in sections.
Can you provide the names of the campgrounds used? We have a short Class A (28 foot) and tow a two door wrangler so total length isn't outrageous but clearly, height and width are the same as longer ones.

We are so glad this info came BEFORE making final plans.

Darrell

I hear ya! Drove it on a motorcylce and it is twists and turns for sure. I don't remember there being any tunnels but like I said earlier, its been since early 80's and I have for sure killed may brain cells!
Now that others have chimed in, I will maybe just look at camp sights that are close and drive my TV for sight seeing. Glad I posted this as not only I learned something, it appears others have also!!

Happy Camping!!

WOW!! Thanks so much for that information on the tunnels. According to that web site, there are 8 yes, 8 tunnels that would wipe out the AC units!!
Going to Galveston last week, we got off track by a wrong turn and then just before joining I-45 North of Galveston we came upon a bridge that was 13'7"!! My unit is 13'4" with the forward AC unit. I have a sticker on my review mirror to remind me but when I saw that sign, it was too late to turn off but I did slow to a crawl and creep through. Not fun with 3" to spare and hoping that the information was correct!!

Latest resources

Back