Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

lrp3849

RVF Newbee
I would like to go to Crescent City, California and pull a 30 ft. travel trailer with my Tundra pickup from Boise, Idaho by way of Ontario, Oregon to Highway 20, Highway 395, Highway 140, Highway 39, I-5, Highway 199 then Highway 101 to Crescent City. I'm concerned about any really steep mountain passes, where is the best place to get gas. What is the terrain like?

Google shows two other routes, one north that goes through Bend, Oregon (Highway 26/97 time =10 hrs 41) and another one south through Nevada (Highway 95/140 time = 11 hrs 24).

The main one described above is 9 hrs 30 minutes.

Not getting the best gas mileage, need a gas station every 300 miles.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure which of the two posts to reply to. I see that your main route is the fastest. I'll describe the last part of your trip:

I live right next to 140 (and 62) in Medford OR. Its a very nice drive from the Upper Klamath Lake west bound on 140 thru Lake of the Woods, then into northern Medford. Then you pop onto I5 west bound and go over to Grants Pass. Major freeway six lanes down to 4 lanes. Get off at GP, then take 199 over to the coast. Lovely drive, one lane most of the way on your side. Drive defensively, especially thru the forest where the curves are tight. But loggers use it all day long. If anyone is on your tail, pull over so you can go more slowly and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. Then breath in the summer fog and ocean air when you get to the Pacific. I was just there two days ago from Medford. As many times as I've driven that route, it still astounds me at its beauty.

Got my SO involved. Burns to Bend is easy and fast. Not much gas but get it in Burns and then South Bend. Bend to Chiloquin is easy too. No issues and more population, therefore more gas stations.

Should be no problems on your route. 199 is a beautiful drive and easy. Make sure you stop at Taylor’s Sausage/ country store in Cave Junction....amazing place.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back