Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be an app to show high crime areas to avoid. I know it will drive the PC Police crazy.
Years ago in Miami it was a cottage industry for Liberty City gangsters to hunt for lost tourist drivers to rob. It took the killing of a German family for the City to do something about it.
WAZE has no problems showing the locations of police. How about showing areas that are dangerous?

Actually, there IS plenty of that data available. They’re called a “Crime Rate Heat Map” and of you Google that phrase, you’ll find lots, and can even drill down on particular cities, regions, etc.

For example, ADT has an interactive map...although I wonder if they pump it up a bit to make you wanna by their system. Lol

https://www.adt.com/crime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck in California. The sheriff denied our ccw applications and we are very experienced with firearms. Besides move to a different county or out of state what does one do? I’d also recommend this org for self defense insurance.
Regarding self defense, a firearm in my opinion is the "nuclear" option. Absolutely the last resort. There are many practices to use to avoid a problem. You might try "Refuse to be a Victim" course. There are many practices that are common sense and others that are very practical. Then you can use many levels of products to dissuade an intruder.
If you must and are current with a firearm, I believe you can have one in your RV as long as you follow the law "Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container. "
Quick access containers are easily available.
If you choose the firearm route, please attend a "Run and Gun" at night training. When the lights go out and you have to move while under pressure, things are very different. Our local club puts on a IDPA/IPSC type course for a night shoot. It allows you to become accustomed to the flash and bang in low/no light situations. Bad things usually happen in the dark.
Speaking of dark, we are planning to install LED lights on both sides of the RV. Not only useful for Docking lights but when things "go bump" in the night. If you want to get fancy you can install RGB LEDs and have them flash Red and Blue :)
Remember a bad guy is typically looking for an easy mark, don't be easy.
And let me add a personal belief, never announce your intention or response to an intruder. Some folks claim "racking a 12 ga is best protection". I disagree, in today's world an armed intruder will shoot first, rob your corpse and claim "self defense" if caught. In California your estate will probably get stuck with a lawsuit from the purps lawyer. :-(

One last thing, have insurance specifically for this purpose if you carry or use a firearm, we have USCCA. A local lawyer is only one phone call away as is Bail if you need it.

Last edited:
CaptGizmo, I tried the ADT map, and did not work? Even for Miami gave me no bad areas... zero crime?
My thinking was, the data is there and should be included in the moving map apps. If I’m driving in unfamiliar city at night,
I should not have to pull over to google the internet for crime info on the side of the road. Me thinks?

Regarding self defense, a firearm in my opinion is the "nuclear" option. Absolutely the last resort.
Well said, Joe! And, that's one of the things a good self-defense course instructor will drill into you.

TJ

One thing over the years has become very clear to us:

A: Know where you are
B: Know how to convey your position to the authorities,

We tried to order pizza to be delivered to the Bld #10 parking lot in Nappanee. We even knew the street and cross street intersection. Took us probably 20 mins and multiple people at the local pizza shop before they could figure out where to deliver the pizza.

If you are Boon Docking you must be able to clearly identify your location. Lat Long is probably useless to the 911 dispatch. For instance NE corner of the Walmart Parking lot located at xyz street and ABC Cross street Walmart in Anytown FL. The town is important as the 911 operator might be in a call center located in another county or state.

We called a 911 operator after an accident in rural VT only to find out the operator was in a NY call center and had no idea where the town was located. We finally obtained the phone number of a VT State Police barracks nearby.

An example of a good location description:
locaton sign.jpg

A: Know where you are
B: Know how to convey your position to the authorities,

If you are Boon Docking you must be able to clearly identify your location. Lat Long is probably useless to the 911 dispatch. For instance NE corner of the Walmart Parking lot located at xyz street and ABC Cross street Walmart in Anytown FL. The town is important as the 911 operator might be in a call center located in another county or state.

Absolutely, Joe!

So, I have a few points, coming from my experience with 911 Dispatch Systems:

- Many are starting to use “Text to 911” service.

- KNOW TO USE YOUR IPHONE! There are several ways to send your location; whether to Emergency Contacts, 911 Dispatch, etc. and can be sent via messages, copy/paste, or SENDING A PIN of your location.

- ASK SIRI!!!!!! Yes, that’s right! Whenever I have no clue where we are, I’ll ask SIRI “her Siri, where am I?” Try it, it works!

- Most emergency dispatch systems use what’s called e911, which stands for Enhanced 911. This advanced system works not just for the location of a Landline, but will also attempt to triangulate a cellphone by using multiple towers...IF available. Obviously, this may not be very accurate. But, it has proven effective to get resources close to the incident.

Now, before someone jumps on me...
Yes, this requires cellular coverage.
Yes, some of these require an iPhone, which I love and know very well. Androids may have similar possibilities.

Finally, know your GPS and how to use its Locate Me or Where Am I functions. Garmins have this function and it will give you VERY ACCURATE location information including LAT/LON along with known Address!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the same note, I was tinkering with my new iWatch and touched by mistake the button? . Instantly I hear the 911 operator. I apologized, gave her all my info and explaining my mistake. 5 min later Sheriff’s car pulled at the house with lights on. They came to make sure I was alright. it was embarrassing for me, but I know the emergency button works.
BTW we love our Apple Watches ❤️

Thank you for these comments. I have a Apple watch and Iphone. It never occurred to me to ask Siri or use the 911 function. Great tools. Speaking of this I just saw a news story where a teen boy slid off the road into a river. Couldn't reach his phone but called out to Siri to call 911. Amazing tech on everyday devises.

I talked @Buly and @DorisA into the Apple Watch as I explained the security value of it and it's not just a gimmick. I'll make a post about this to educate others interested in what I told them and how it's important as RVers to have this help. I probably could have added it to @TJ&LadyDi safety equipment thread but didn't think of it.

Dinosaur here, looking for info on the Apple Watch. Been looking at them online, but not sure what they do and how. Looks like if you are out of cell and/or wifi coverage, they are pretty much just a watch...right? And, does the AW connect directly to cellular, or just thru the iPhone?

Dang, smart technology is hard!

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back