Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I am reminded while I'm starting my boondocking adventure how much I enjoy being disconnected from RV parking lots. There is something very enjoyable about being totally off grid in whatever fashion. Remote would be wonderful, I'm among thousands of RVers at an airshow, it's still a joy. Putting solar to use, the generator to use, etc. is all good. It is my favorite part of RVing just like being at the Balloon Fiesta, it's different, it's fun.

We're looking forward to our boondocking in the Badlands in a few weeks. We've stayed at some Harvest Host locations that are pretty close to being remote.

Im headed out in a few weeks for an extended road trip with very few plans, but one of them is to stop at a very small beach CG along the “Lost Coast” in Northern Ca (on my way to Eastern Wa, Montana, SD, etc) if the coach can get in there. No hookups of any kind and very remote. I’ll launch the toad to do some recon and if the trees look ok we’ll head in and probably spend a week at the beach, unplugged and probably alone hiking and riding the trails. Maybe even launch the sea kayak if conditions are right and I’m feeling brave.

6 year old house batteries holding up well. GEN top off to 95% SOC around 8-9 PM, was down to around 90% prior to top off. Woke up this morning to 83% SOC. Home theater is on a power strip so all of that remains off. Home computer that I bring along with a 1000W power supply (but efficient) is the biggest draw of about 20A continuous powered off at 8 PM. Probably will switch to laptop for work when solar (PV) is done in the evening to hopefully avoid gen top off.

No gen in the AM thus far, don't see needing it today. Windows open last night as it was "cold" in the mid 60's. Won't use GEN until it's time for A/C's to run. Blackstone will be used for breakfast today.

Amazon product ASIN B076MFM8LX

It IS nice knowing you are "self contained" and can spend time anywhere / anytime. HOT comes into play (running A/C's) and water / waste management is important. My wife and I are not good at the latter 🤔 I need a shower (a boat shower is good enough) and my wife needs a shower everyday to feel alive. So our max day stay thus far is 3 1/2. Now some places have trucks that will fill you up and suck you out 😉 for a fee. Haven't tried that yet, but it's possible. Propane and BBQ handle the cooking just fine. I have a 25 gallon propane tank and have never gone below 50 percent if my gauge is correct. Blessings

Latest resources

Back