Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Spoolingaround

RVF Newbee
I bought a 2005 flagstaff travel trailer recently. I went to took it out for the first time two weekends ago and nothing worked. It's gonna be a project.

I have a 2500w/3300w generator which I thought would be enough for the 13,500 btu ac and the generator keeps getting overloaded when using it. I am in denver at 5200 ft of elevation so I think I need a bigger generator.

The water filter either broke or was broken bc when I went to fill it up water went everywhere. I have a new filter and I think that should solve the problem. Just hoping the lines aren't broken either.

The heat didn't work either. Will have to fill up propane and see if that fixes it.

If nothing else in the trailer is drawing power, your 2500/3300 generator should be adequate to start/run your 13.5K BTU AC. Sounds like you may have some other things running as well; inverter/battery charger, lights, etc. Adding a soft-start device to your AC…

…might help.

Your generator ratings are: 2500W = running Watts; 3300 = surge Watts. Your 13.5K btu AC should draw about 2,750W on startup and 1250W when running. That’s marginally within your existing generator capability if nothing else is drawing power. That said, generators are notorious for being over-rated. And, some ACs have been known to draw more than their rated power on startup. Using the soft start device will significantly reduce your startup (surge) current (Wattage). It does little to nothing to reduce running Wattage.

If I was looking to replace the generator in your travel trailer, I would be looking for 5000W unit AND would still install the soft start. That would give you a safety cushion to run a few more low-wattage devices while the AC was operating.

TJ

Latest resources

Back