Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
We’re getting our Jeep set up for hauling around. I picked up a Break Buddy to use. In the manual it says to plug into the accessory output of the vehicle being towed. Of course with the Jeep it requires the battery disconnected since you have to leave the ignition in ACC to unlock the steering wheel. So, you wire it directly to the battery. (Maybe).
Questions:
1) Will the battery of your towed vehicle last for 8 hours of towing?
2) Do you have the breakaway switch connected? The person I got it from did not.

I figured I’d ask these questions before I start down my plan. For my electrical connection to the RV I used a 7 wire plug. This gives me wires to deliver 12vdc through the harness. I was going to connect the Break Buddy to it and leave the Jeep Battery disconnected totally. Then I decided to incorporate a breakaway switch, but if the Jeep breaks away the Brake Buddy would have no power to operate. So I would add a relay so that when the RV power supply was removed it would switch to the Jeep battery.

Am I getting to complicated?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 4
Whoever moved my post, thanks. I didn’t look down far enough to see the topic.

We’re getting our Jeep set up for hauling around. I picked up a Break Buddy to use. In the manual it says to plug into the accessory output of the vehicle being towed. Of course with the Jeep it requires the battery disconnected since you have to leave the ignition in ACC to unlock the steering wheel. So, you wire it directly to the battery. (Maybe).
Questions:
1) Will the battery of your towed vehicle last for 8 hours of towing?
2) Do you have the breakaway switch connected? The person I got it from did not.

I figured I’d ask these questions before I start down my plan. For my electrical connection to the RV I used a 7 wire plug. This gives me wires to deliver 12vdc through the harness. I was going to connect the Break Buddy to it and leave the Jeep Battery disconnected totally. Then I decided to incorporate a breakaway switch, but if the Jeep breaks away the Brake Buddy would have no power to operate. So I would add a relay so that when the RV power supply was removed it would switch to the Jeep battery.

Am I getting to complicated?

Thanks.
We have used Break Buddy for probably ten years now. We started with a 1998 TJ that did not have a live socket to plug into. I purchased a Cigar Lighter Socket from NAPA and mounted it into the Center Consul. I ran a fused wire from the battery for continuous power. I also installed the breakaway switch and used always. (I believe it's use is law in all states and Canada.) The TJ became unreliable thus it had to been replaced. We now have a 2018 JK. It came factory with a live socket inside the center consul. Ours is key start and has no steering lock. The installation of a socket wired directly to the battery will solve your key on situation. I would NOT incorporate power from your coach to run BB. That would add complications to a simple solution.

We have on occasion travelled for more than 8 hours and never had a dead battery problem. The main power user is the compressor. Once the reservoir is charged I don't think it runs all that often.

Clearly, you have purchased a used unit. Just a side note. When starting, if the compressor takes too long to charge the reservoir, you may need to have the unit serviced. We had to do ours once since we started full timing. That was about four years ago now so the unit is pretty hardy. We sent the head unit the Brake Buddy. They did their thing and sent it back. I can't remember the cost but I thought it was reasonable.

Safe travels
Darrell

We have on occasion travelled for more than 8 hours and never had a dead battery problem. The main power user is the compressor. Once the reservoir is charged I don't think it runs all that often.

Safe travels
Darrell
Thank you. That does make things easier. If tested the unit and the compressor works great.

We Have been using Brake Buddy for 6 years and no real issues. I ran a live power lead from our coach 7 pin connector to a unhood trickle charger. Works great no dead battery.

We Have been using Brake Buddy for 6 years and no real issues. I ran a live power lead from our coach 7 pin connector to a unhood trickle charger. Works great no dead battery.
What kind of charger?

Latest resources

Back