Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rod St John

RVF Newbee
Hello Folks, I'm hoping someone might have encountered this issue before and can help guide me where to start looking for the issue.
I have my 2012 Coachman Leprechaun (32 foot) Ford body parked for the winter. It has been winterized, etc for approx a month beside my garage. Last night, I was coming home and saw that some red lights were on.. turns out that the brake lights on the RV were on ! My first thought was that the brake pedal had been pressed somehow, or hadn't come fully up, however, that was not the case. I then pulled the button switch off the pedal mount and pushed it all the way in by hand. I was fully expecting that the lights would go out, however, no dice !! The brake lights stayed on. I ended up disconnecting the battery so it didn't go dead.
Anyway.. has anyone experienced this issue ?? My thought is that perhaps the plunger switch is bad, but thought that I would check with you experts before I start replacing parts.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated !! FYI - The RV is original and I have not had any previous lighting or wiring issues before this.

Regards,
Rod

Welcome to RVF, @Rod St John; glad you found your way here.

Since your RV has been parked outside, is it possible that "critters" might have gotten into the engine compartment and chewed some wires? If insulation as been removed from a wire in a place where it could short out, that could be the problem.

Can you disconnect (unplug?) the plunger switch? Just one leg would be all that's necessary. If the lights remain on, it isn't the switch.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Rod St John; glad you found your way here.

Since your RV has been parked outside, is it possible that "critters" might have gotten into the engine compartment and chewed some wires? If insulation as been removed from a wire in a place where it could short out, that could be the problem.

Can you disconnect (unplug?) the plunger switch? Just one leg would be all that's necessary. If the lights remain on, it isn't the switch.

TJ
Hi TJ,
Thanks for the welcome and the reply !!
I should be able to disconnect the plunger with not much issue. I'll do some checking on the critter situation.. I didn't see any obvious issues, but it is possible. The RV did start right up with no issues, but who knows... I'll dig a little deeper, but I was really hoping for someone to perhaps reply and say "oh yea.. that happens all the time.. it's the (fill in blank).. only costs 3 bucks and is easy to change !!
Looks like i'm not so lucky !!
Ok.. I'll do more checking.

Thanks again for touching base !!!

Regards,

Rod

Hello Folks, I'm hoping someone might have encountered this issue before and can help guide me where to start looking for the issue.
I have my 2012 Coachman Leprechaun (32 foot) Ford body parked for the winter. It has been winterized, etc for approx a month beside my garage. Last night, I was coming home and saw that some red lights were on.. turns out that the brake lights on the RV were on ! My first thought was that the brake pedal had been pressed somehow, or hadn't come fully up, however, that was not the case. I then pulled the button switch off the pedal mount and pushed it all the way in by hand. I was fully expecting that the lights would go out, however, no dice !! The brake lights stayed on. I ended up disconnecting the battery so it didn't go dead.
Anyway.. has anyone experienced this issue ?? My thought is that perhaps the plunger switch is bad, but thought that I would check with you experts before I start replacing parts.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated !! FYI - The RV is original and I have not had any previous lighting or wiring issues before this.

Regards,
Rod
Do you have a tow vehicle and if so are the brake light cables hooked up? We had one light on like that that was caused by the tow light cable being plugged into the back of the rv but not plugged into the car. Unplugged it and the light went out.

Latest resources

Back