Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
The park district CG we reserved a site at for 3 months this summer went under water Tuesday. It is on the Illinois River and will be closed for at least 3 or 4 weeks now. We had only been on our site for 3 days when this occurred. Due to covid-19 a county park 30 miles away will not open until after June 1. This central Illinois area does not have many choices for rigs our size.

A marina/boat yard across the river (Peoria) is trying to establish a small CG behind their main buildings. There are about 14 or 15 small concrete slabs spaced out with 30amp and water, no sewer. They do have a dump station on site because they have a honey-wagon they use to pump out large boats docked in the marina.

We have only been here 3 days/nights but there is a "learning curve" going on. About 5 of us migrated over from the flooded park district CG. Initially a couple RVs had issues with their 30amp hookups so the electrician was out two days in a row. The Harbor Master, who is not an experienced RVer, mentioned having the honey-wagon come around and pump us out. I told him I did not want this type of service due to my fear that they could collapse my holding tank or mess something up. Then they said they were going to auger down 6' and build a gray water septic next to our sites using corrugated pipe with gravel around it. I let it be know that even though I would only drop gray into such an outlet I suspected that future RVers would certainly try to get by with putting black water in the small short septic also, which would not be good. The next thing I knew they said they might go ahead and dig 12' deep, construct it the same way but then allow black and gray dumping. Since we are approximately 40 yards from the river and I didn't think much of this type of system for depositing 150 to 200 gallons of black and gray water every week I let him know that I would probably still be driving around to the dump station every week.

They haven't started digging these septic holes yet and I hope they don't. The other thing he wants to do is upgrade each site to 50amp, which I would welcome.

They are a very friendly helpful group here and I know they want to establish a nice little CG that will stay full during the season. There will be some growing pains but it is interesting to see things develop. At $300 a month the price is about right.

I saw some photos on the evening news a couple nights ago showing a flooded RV park. Now, I'm wondering if that was where you were. I got the impression that it was a flash flood there and a lot of people had to abandon their RVs. Sure hope you didn't suffer any damage.

TJ

Sounds as if it will be an interesting summer for you? Hope all goes well and no additional trials.

I saw some photos on the evening news a couple nights ago showing a flooded RV park. Now, I'm wondering if that was where you were. I got the impression that it was a flash flood there and a lot of people had to abandon their RVs. Sure hope you didn't suffer any damage.

TJ
That may have been in Michigan when the dam failed. ?

We stayed here on our way home from Nappanee. We have a friend in central Illinois & stayed here 2 nights. New owner just a year ago. Very small CG, but nice. Our 35’ plus toad fit fine.

We stayed here on our way home from Nappanee. We have a friend in central Illinois & stayed here 2 nights. New owner just a year ago. Very small CG, but nice. Our 35’ plus toad fit fine.

Didn't know that CG existed down by Lincoln. It is only about 45 miles south of us so we will ride down and check it out in the next couple of weeks. Good to have additional options for this area.

Found a brand new portable 35 gallon honey wagon tote sitting behind my coach yesterday. My neighbor told me that the Harbor Master went out and purchased it for us. Rather than come off jacks and put the slides in to drive around the building I think I'll try using it this morning. New experience for me but it looks pretty simple.

Found a brand new portable 35 gallon honey wagon tote sitting behind my coach yesterday. My neighbor told me that the Harbor Master went out and purchased it for us. Rather than come off jacks and put the slides in to drive around the building I think I'll try using it this morning. New experience for me but it looks pretty simple.
Wow, how about that!

Seems like the "Harbormaster" is working hard on your behalf. Nice to hear things like this, especially in times like these.

TJ

That’s a nice gift...I just ordered one to use at home. It’s way too far from the coach to our sewer clean out, even for the Sani-Con. I can take it to the clean out with the riding mower.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back