Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Brett Davis from NIRVC on Inflation, RVs & Truths About Motorhome Industry Decline

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No

Very interesting data.

I guess my thought process is tainted with everything he didn't mention!

I wonder how many class A manufacturers were in 84 compared to now? Also, general quality level of class A's back then compared to now. Just for curiosity. exclude bells and whistles, I wonder, if you could drive one of the lot and how far before you had break downs, back then v now. This aspect of QC comes into play when compared to European class As. To the extent that I am aware, most EU class As can be driven of the lot, just like you might expect driving a Honda of the lot here in US (I exclude UK out of this comparison). If you had typical class As here made available in EU, I'd expect a considerable decline in class A in EU as well.

The median income argument is a bit cloudy, though it has increased. However, the couple decades of irresponsible financial policies of zero interests and lots of money printing, has had an effect of considerable wealth transfer. No, I don't mean the trickle down economy nonsense. its the other way, mass wealth upward. In that sense, the population growth numbers used, 'could' be somewhat misleading.

Although,there has been a great deal of money sloshing around, more so in recent years, the bottom population has lost ground.

According to FED data, 50% of the population has a wealth of some 56k! That, I 'would' imagine, takes that half of the population out of the domain of the class A. So in effect, the population growth presented in the video, though accurate, is very 'likely' a population decrease, when it comes to “the affordable population” who might consider purchasing a class A motorhome.

* I should emphesis, the 'affordable population' the bottom 50% compared to 80s has lost ground

Interesting analysis! It might be interesting to see the difference in Median vs Average income. Also the skew of income. Maybe a percentile analysis would give you the skew.

For instance 500 Billionaires and the rest of us earning min wages might give very misleading Averages.

I wonder how many class A manufacturers were in 84 compared to now? Also, general quality level of class A's back then compared to now. Just for curiosity. exclude bells and whistles, I wonder, if you could drive one of the lot and how far before you had break downs, back then v now. This aspect of QC comes into play when compared to European class As. To the extent that I am aware, most EU class As can be driven of the lot, just like you might expect driving a Honda of the lot here in US (I exclude UK out of this comparison). If you had typical class As here made available in EU, I'd expect a considerable decline in class A in EU as well.

The median income argument is a bit cloudy, though it has increased. However, the couple decades of irresponsible financial policies of zero interests and lots of money printing, has had an effect of considerable wealth transfer. No, I don't mean the trickle down economy nonsense. its the other way, mass wealth upward. In that sense, the population growth numbers used, 'could' be somewhat misleading.

Although,there has been a great deal of money sloshing around, more so in recent years, the bottom population has lost ground.

According to FED data, 50% of the population has a wealth of some 56k! That, I 'would' imagine, takes that half of the population out of the domain of the class A. So in effect, the population growth presented in the video, though accurate, is very 'likely' a population decrease, when it comes to “the affordable population” who might consider purchasing a class A motorhome.

* I should emphesis, the 'affordable population' the bottom 50% compared to 80s has lost ground
Funny you should talk about EU. my thoughts are people drive MH because the cost of making a truck a daily driver in all aspects on narrow roads ridicules.

Please note, 30' is the longest class A.. There are bigger units, though, I think used mostly for high end sporting events mainly(F1). even their 30 ft is very roomy and functional and these are very popular.. Just watch Tour d' France and you see them parked along narrow hilly roads all over. Some of the relevants keys here are quality and reliable service. They are built on chassis and with engines that are widely used, very efficient on fuel.

The RV manufacturing here has great potential, not just domestically, but even for export, but not with the QC problems. Unfortunatley the price padding is out of this world, so the decision makers have very little interet to improve and the consumers 'generally' are not 'acting' as they are supposed to !!! ofcourse with little or no competition. in a consolidating market, it does not help to improve things. ...

I am not sure what to make of the information Brett shared. Maybe it will reveal in the next two videos. But I really like the fact he is sharing this kind of information and analysis with his customers.

I suspect if more dealers followed the NIRVC playbook more people would consider Class A motorhome ownership. My guess is Brett will lay this out in future videos. Buying and maintaining a Class A from a dealer who might charge a little more for the coach but stand behind the purchase with outstanding support is a fair deal. Go Brett!

Buying and maintaining a Class A from a dealer who might charge a little more for the coach but stand behind the purchase with outstanding support is a fair deal. Go Brett!
I may be an outlier here but I still want the least expensive price for the same thing with less regard from who it's coming from. If it's something likely to need alot of maintenance or warranty work I can't perform (there's little I've found I can't do), then it's probably something I don't really want that bad anyway. Much of this boils down to quality and what you get (or don't) for your $1.2M.

The data from the NIRVC video indicates a continued loss of market for the motorhome units v towables, etc. I am sure there are reasonable explanation for that loss, which we look forward to hear in the coming videos.

One of those reasons may very well be related to the quality control or lack there of!!!! That is not to say the towables have better QC. However, for the price of a typical motorhome compared to a towable, you just have to wonder, paying a heck of a whole lot more and yet have the same quality issues, if not even worse!

This brand new 2024 MADP advertised with some piece of the bedroom ceiling hanging down! I know, most people may say, I'll just take a few screws or glue and secure it back on, No big deal!!!

That is not the point.

The point is, here is a Hi_Line dealer advertising a brand new Hi-Line unit from a manufacturer 'known' to be considered as above the rest (less the bus conversions units) and for a unit listed at some $850,000. A price which in all likelihood has some 50% (or more) padding. Yet, they don't even bother to fix the little mishap and proudly showcase the photo on an online advertisement! As is!!!

How is it that a hi-line unit leaves the factory in this shape? Or even if it fell while being delivered to the dealer? If so, what else has fallen underneath, behind walls,etc, which we can't see.

I just can't help but ask, for this level pricing, is there no pride in the workmanship? No integrity? Both for the factory(ies) and their dealer(s)? Just the good ol' fashionable stick it to them as fast as you can?

Have we reached a point where these manufacturer (all of them) and their dealers feel that they are ENTITLED to slap together whatever piece they can and shove it down their customers and for what pricing?

I respectfully ask the elites of this industry, what part of this process is that difficult, that such QC issues are routinely and habitually and repeatedly ignored, while the prices continue to go thru the stratosphere? For manufacturers who routinely make tens of millions, if not more, year after year, I ask all you CEOs, executives and owners, WHY?

** At this point, I am not even raising any issues relating to safety defects or other defects that from time to time are ignored (read swept under the carpet). However, in due time.

Attachments

• TranswestMADP.jpg
    TranswestMADP.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Latest resources

Back