• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Bridge height apps

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well I understand the add 6" to your height safety margin but in my case I'm 12'4". If I add 6" for planning my route, particularly in the NE it will be a long and winding road. The turnpike(s) in the NE have a stated height of 12'6". If I add 6" I would be on secondary roads which may present an even greater challenge / risk not only for low clearances but weight restricted roads and bridges.

Well I understand the add 6" to your height safety margin but in my case I'm 12'4". If I add 6" for planning my route, particularly in the NE it will be a long and winding road. The turnpike(s) in the NE have a stated height of 12'6". If I add 6" I would be on secondary roads which may present an even greater challenge / risk not only for low clearances but weight restricted roads and bridges.
13’6”

There are a number of truck and rv apps for bridge heights. Some are loaded with other “features” I don’t need/want. Are there any suggestions for a good gps height app
Garmin RV 780 is good, but probably has more bells and whistles than you want.

There are many local resources from State and in larger jurisdictions, City maps. Here is a resource that I wish we had when I was in the NYC area and drove a delivery truck.

We use RV Trip Wizard for planning and use the companion GPS app.

There have been times when the app is trying to take us a circuitous route and when I try to force it to go more direct I end up discovering that it is due to a height or weight limit.

We have not yet had an issue with bridge heights, though we did recently have an issue with bridge weights.

We have trained ourselves to watch bridge height signs and on this trip (first time in Oregon) we have discovered that Oregon seems to try to save money by NOT having a sign on every bridge stating it’s height. As a result, we have pulled out a trucker paper atlas to ensure we are following truck routes, and if we deviate from those truck routes have been spending much more time to research bridge heights and weight limits through websites.

Latest resources

Back