Broken bunk

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
20200917_145243.jpg

As it turns out, I can't actually remove the plywood myself. I was however able to get a couple shots of the frame, I may end up calling my moms handy man cousin to see if he can help get it reassembled. I find it rather disturbing that Forest River slapped a pretty high weight limit on these bunks but only secured them to the walls with two screws on each corner and built the frame from 2x3s. 50 thousand freaking dollars and this is what I get

I think getting some help is a good idea. The plywood needs to come off the framework in order to do a proper fix.

Once the framework has been put back in place, you might consider installing snug-fitting vertical pieces of 1x4 between the upper and lower platforms and the lower platform to the floor. That will transfer the weight down to the floor, eliminating the chance of a reoccurrence. If painted to match the surrounding area, it should not look bad.

TJ

You could use corner posts on under side to support the frame like a real bunk. It looks to me to be a slide and that limits the corner posts location. I would rebuild the frame using deck screws as it is only built using staples. I would not trust the screws that were used to hold it to the wall to be in any kind of structure. With that thought the screws should not support only hold the bunk from moving to and fro.

Thanks y'all for all of the advice, its very much appreciated! I considered taking the lower bunk out and replacing it with a short twin then building a freestanding platform for my daughter's play space but....that would take far more time and patience than I'm equipped with lol. I'll update here once we get all squared away here

As it turns out, I can't actually remove the plywood myself. I was however able to get a couple shots of the frame, I may end up calling my moms handy man cousin to see if he can help get it reassembled. I find it rather disturbing that Forest River slapped a pretty high weight limit on these bunks but only secured them to the walls with two screws on each corner and built the frame from 2x3s. 50 thousand freaking dollars and this is what I get
With a tight fit and more than 2 screws holding it in it should hold. I would have a screw on each side of the cross member. I would also use l brackets to hold the front cross member to the side studs.

Once the framework has been put back in place, you might consider installing snug-fitting vertical pieces of 1x4 between the upper and lower platforms and the lower platform to the floor. That will transfer the weight down to the floor, eliminating the chance of a reoccurrence. If painted to match the surrounding area, it should not look bad.

Exactly right to support the load and transfer it directly to the floor as @TJ&LadyDi has suggested. (y)
This job will require some skills of screwing, cutting and a little backyard engineering. A handyman might be the right ticket.

I'm so thankful for yalls advice, my moms cousin got my daughter's bunk put back together in no time today. He took measurements to build a steel removable support to transfer some weight to the floor too...but it may be a while still before that gets done. Either way, her bunk feels more solid now than it did the day we parked it
20200918_214448.jpg

Latest resources

Back