• Commercial/Vendors welcome

California route question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
IMO the best route is the one suggested by Capitan Gizmo. I-5 to I-210 to I-15. The other 2 normal routes take you through downtown LA this route probably has the least traffic. My wife's sister used to live just south of Temecula and this is the route we would always take when driving down from Northern California (Bay Area).

Thank you. I was wondering if going through downtown on 5 was a viable route given that many business people are working from home now. Because of covid we may end up by passing Temecula and just keep heading south to get to I 8. Everything is uncertain and changes from day to day.

You all have been so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to resond.

Thank you. I was wondering if going through downtown on 5 was a viable route given that many business people are working from home now. Because of covid we may end up by passing Temecula and just keep heading south to get to I 8. Everything is uncertain and changes from day to day.

You all have been so helpful. Thank you for taking the time to resond.
I would NOT suggest taking the 5 through DOWNTOWN LA. You’re asking for trouble: the freeway is old, NARROW, and can get Avery congested. Additionally, AND MOST IMPORTANT, is this is NOT a “route with an out” in that it does not conform with my continually situational awareness of always have a way out, to exit, to turn around should things go bad ahead.

The ENTIRE DTLA region is NOT a place where you want to exit the freeway as an escape or detour!!!

Take the route I suggested. It won’t take you any longer and you’ll be rested and not frazzled!

Thank you again Captain G., we will take your route. I like your idea of always having an exit plan. We got off an unknown exit in Biloxi to get to our RV reservation and had a terrible time trying to make a right turn on very narrow streets. That was our first year towing. Situational awareness that goes beyond driving condirions to geographic locations is a great concept.

Captain G's route is far superior, especially pulling a trailer. The area just south of Los Angeles on I - 5 near Firestone Blvd and the City of Industry is bad all the time in just a car, pulling a trailer it would be pure hell.

Wave as you pass thru Medford!!

Note the horrible devastation from this summer's fire in Talent and Phoenix OR. Its mostly on the west side of 5. Thousands of homes lost.

Wow so sad. We saw hurricane devastation in the south when we went through. Mother Nature can be beautiful and also so devastating.
We'll wave on our way through.

Thanks John. We are watching things. We are going to try and go straight through without stopping from someplace north of LA to our R.V. rental space in Arizona. Not sure if we are heading East from 215 or going further south to I-8. If you know of a better route that won't take us through a lot of snowy passes, we are open to safer suggestions. The only stopping we plan on is for gas and for sleeping. We will continue to keep our eye on things. We will also continue to be careful. We stayed alone on Thanksgiving and met our family via zoom at Christmas and have done shopping on line or through pick up.

Why go to the epicenter of COVID. Be careful. John
The route I gave him is just fine.
You don’t catch COVID by driving through the air at 65MPH.

Don’t stop at any dance parties and share glasses and you’ll be just fine.

Latest resources

Back