Keystone
RV Model
Hideout
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Toyota Tundra
Fulltimer
No
We'll be traveling south on I-5 toward, and then through LA, ending that day in Temecula. We plan to stay a bit north of LA and head in around 10 am to minimize traffic. Can anyone suggest the best route to take? Google doesn't always get it right for trailers. There are numerous possibilities and we've gotten turned around before on their freeway system.

While I don't have a route suggestion be sure to check covid restrictions and how campgrounds are handling reservations.

Thank you. I found one helpful informational piece on this form already about this issue.

It really depends on the day and the time of day you go through LA as it is the traffic mecca of the world.

A few of us typically take the 5 south to Bakersfield (you have to go across before Bakersfield and take the 99 or take surface streets) and take 58 to 395 south which runs into the 15 which then connects to 215.

Others will stay on the 5 go over the grapevine pick up the 210 and connect down to the 15 via a couple of local expressways that extend south to the 15. We did that going to the desert this year but the traffic was horrible on a Saturday afternoon going that way and it seemed to add 90 minutes to the trip.

Both grapevine (5) and the cajon pass (15) are long grades up and down so beware of that in terms of braking and speed. @CaptainGizmo on this forum is from down there may have better advice on the best way to go. Like @Neal said plan accordingly for travel issues.

We'll be traveling south on I-5 toward, and then through LA, ending that day in Temecula. We plan to stay a bit north of LA and head in around 10 am to minimize traffic. Can anyone suggest the best route to take? Google doesn't always get it right for trailers. There are numerous possibilities and we've gotten turned around before on their freeway system.
I can help. Yes, we have to endure the LA traffic every day and every time we travel home!

There are TWO major factors to deal with right now: early afternoon traffic and construction. Saturdays and Sundays are no longer a benefit, except for a bit less construction slowdown.

So, boldly...I can tell you this is THE answer in terms of the lesser of the evils. This is the route I would take, and have taken even as of a couple weeks ago. It's VERY straight forward and, frankly, a lot easier than many other metropolitan freeway systems we've been through. So, no fear...this is a cakewalk.

GIVEN:
You say you'll be leaving "somewhere north of LA" at 10am.
Sounds like you'll be locked onto the 5 as you come south as you come through Valencia/Santa Clarita and over the hill down to the northern San Fernando Valley.

ROUTE:
5 south to 210 EAST (toward Pasadena)
  • The 5/210 junction is a messy gathering of several freeways, but it's okay if you just take it slow, and look at the signs.
  • You'll make a couple splits to wind up on the 210. Just watch for the 210 East/Pasadena signs.

210 east to 15 SOUTH (toward San Diego)
  • You will hit traffic through Pasadena to Glendora every day starting 2pm.
  • The 15 South is an easy junction, exit on the right.

15 south to Temecula
  • You will hit some construction slowdowns around the 91 freeway and south

Oh how I don’t miss CA traffic. I do go over to Dana Point area from AZ a couple times a year but don’t take the RV if I can get away with leaving in AZ. Lived there most of my life until 2000.

It really depends on the day and the time of day you go through LA as it is the traffic mecca of the world.

I smiled at this as I spent 3 weeks in Manila this year...Nothing I have ever seen compares to the traffic in Metro Manila

Thank you all for your responses. Now we just are hoping with covid restrictions that we can find places to stay overnight. We'll be leaving Olympia around the 10th of Jan. hoping for an
easy time over the passes. We'd hate to push our endurance levels by having to drive straight through the state on one day on our way to Arizona. Thanks again.

Be sure to get a good read on the Siskiyou Summit road conditions before leaving the Medford area. Conditions can change quickly up there.

TJ

Yes, thank you. We are prepared to stay put at 7 Feathers RV Park until its good and clear. We love it there.

Latest resources

Back