Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Calling all automotive paint experts - opinion needed…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
Just got back from a major RV service center in Coburg where I had some paint touch ups done on a couple areas, because my base-coat/clear-coat skills are minimal. Pics are before and after visiting their shop. The obvious issue is the huge bubble on the door in the left of the photos which was not part of the area they were tasked to paint. The first pic is before I made my attempt at matching/blending, the second pic was taken June 25 this year (the reason I wanted them to “do it right”), the third pic was taken today. It came out of their shop about a week ago. I have my theories but would like to know if anyone can tell me with some certainty what caused the pint bubble before I go back to the paint shop.

IMG_3728.jpeg

image5.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

Looks to me that the paint lifted when they pulled off their masking tape. I also notice that the area they repaired is noticeable. Did they just paint that small area or all of that color on that door?

That’s what it looks like to me too. I’m not sure what they did; the job was to just refinish the white on the involved door but they might have carries it rearward on to the next door to blend it. I wish I knew. I will probably have their story in the next couple days.

Hi rich it looks like they tried to fill it in without redoing the whole door. Spot fill is cost effective but it never looks good in my opinion. Prep is key and bad masking creates a whole bunch of problems. If you are ever near St George Utah go see Arnie Hayes as he’s got a big rig paint and body shop. A lot of folks knew him when he ran a detailing business in Montana and the desert. He’s a honest guy and a straight shooter. You might shoot him the pictures and see what he says. His number is (406) 471-8964. Tell him I sent you to him.

Hi rich it looks like they tried to fill it in without redoing the whole door. Spot fill is cost effective but it never looks good in my opinion. Prep is key and bad masking creates a whole bunch of problems. If you are ever near St George Utah go see Arnie Hayes as he’s got a big rig paint and body shop. A lot of folks knew him when he ran a detailing business in Montana and the desert. He’s a honest guy and a straight shooter. You might shoot him the pictures and see what he says. His number is (406) 471-8964. Tell him I sent you to him.
Thanks - the more info I have before approaching the shop that did it the better. At $195/hour I had higher expectations than this…

Rich...how did you like the work of Coach Glass Solutions ? And where (in Colberg) did you have the paint work done ? I have some "checking" and don't really want to tackle it myself. Blessings

The windshield experience was perfect. The paint work was done at a service center to the south of Coach glass. I think this is an unusual situation for them and so far they seem concerned and cooperative.

Yup...can't say enough about the work of Coach Glass Solutions. I think I remember the service center you are referring to. Thanks

Yup...can't say enough about the work of Coach Glass Solutions. I think I remember the service center you are referring to. Thanks
X2 on RvGlass Solutions in Coburg for windshield replacement. Unfortunately, like many others, they don’t deal with the frameless windows. They will replace them but don’t manufacture or fix them.

I’m no expert on this. When I needed to fix a crack in the fender I went to an auto paint supply store with a sample panel. Told them this was my first time and wanted a paint that was forgiving. Instead of a base coat/ clear coat they gave me a single stage paint. The spent a lot of time color matching and then giving me pointers on how to paint. Then went on YouTube and looked at a few painting videos. When I went to paint I taped off where the colors changed or a body break. Worked well.

Attachments

• IMG_1939-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_1939-compressed.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1957-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_1957-compressed.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1959-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_1959-compressed.jpeg