• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bigblockyeti

RVF VIP
RV Make
Still shopping
I don't avoid fundraisers but I'm cautious to feel them out before being accosted with a sales pitch for supporting XYZ. I'm now finding myself on the opposite side of fundraising with my boys in scouts, it's popcorn selling time and the guy in charge of securing storefronts we can sell at has only gotten Lowe's for us this year. The foot traffic is good but the sales are dismal for those inexperienced at selling (that would be my boys and several other new scouts) a $25 bag of popcorn or $30 can of peanuts. Has anyone seen or heard of similar fundraising at a campground, or RV/TT dealership? Camping World is close and camping itself is a big part of what scouts do, seems like an appropriate fit. Foot traffic would be less but the percentage of interested buyers could be much higher? Several additional parents are strategizing on how to make this easier for the kids to work and pay their own way. I'm concerned Camping World or any other dealership might shut down the idea right from the get go as to avoid having customers made to feel uneasy whether shopping for a new sewer hose or a luxury 45' diesel pusher. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Down here in Tenn the groups sell coupon books for discounts at local businesses. It is very affordable and popular. We buy them every year. Never use them all up and usually forget we have them, but savvy shoppers get way more then they pay back.

Not sure about campgrounds, that would most likely mean going campsite to campsite. RV dealerships and Camping World I think would be a no go as well, there's just not enough customer traffic.

When my son was a Scout, the troop leaders asked a number of grocery stores; they did very well selling popcorn and apples at the store entrance and exits.

The coupon "books" we sell are next and much easier for scouts to sell as they pay for themselves in one or two purchases. Traffic is a definite concern and Lowe's certainly has that, the next closest thing that would align with camping and have good foot traffic is the RV show. It's in Greenville ~40 minutes away and in January, it's really not all that big either compared to many other RV shows. Ingles is our local grocery store and they don't allow that kind of storefront selling. Trying to sell online is working for some but it's all about the size of network you can peddle to.

I appreciate all the info so far, I think we may just have to reach out to more grocery stores, even if a bit further away to see if we can get any bites.

The foot traffic is good but the sales are dismal for those inexperienced at selling (that would be my boys and several other new scouts) a $25 bag of popcorn or $30 can of peanuts.
Did you just say a bag of popcorn is $25.00?

Yes, it's probably a $6 bag of popcorn at a nice grocery store, it's decent stuff, but this isn't grocery store popcorn, it's fundraiser popcorn.

Yes, it's probably a $6 bag of popcorn at a nice grocery store, it's decent stuff, but this isn't grocery store popcorn, it's fundraiser popcorn.
No, I get it. Just didn't realize inflation had gotten to popcorn as well. :)

I live in an area where 40% of the population lives below the poverty level. I always buy the Girl Scout Cookies because, well for one, I like em! But secondly, I feel bad watching them promoting their goodies with such limited success.

I've never seen the boy scouts participating in a fundraiser program around here. In fact, I don't know if there's a Boy Scouts chapter in the area.

But good luck, I hope they raise a bunch of $$$. It's a good organization. I sure enjoyed my days in the BS.

It's making money for those scouts who are experienced and who's parents know when the best times and locations are (often sought independently). One kid has just over $8000 in sales with 46hrs in shift time (dad no doubt has plenty of chauffeur time) working out to be a tick over $174/hr. gross. He'll net right around $3K in his scout account that he can use for everything scouts and camping related.

I have no idea what popcorn sold for in 1990 when I was peddling it but it was an easy sell; cellphone, internet, Uber, doordash and avacado toast bills were all far less expensive then and a new $70K 1/2 ton truck included a free house!

Latest resources

Back