• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Campground water quality

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There used to be an RV park in Franklin NC that would fail the Health Dept's water test two to six times per year and failed it for a few decades (giardia cysts). Part of what the park would have to do is post in the newspaper that they had failed the test and why they failed it. I'm sure that there were a lot of people who only spent a few nights that never saw it. By the time they were sick, they could have been a couple states away.

But then the High School also failed the water test a few times (giardia cysts).

we have been camping for about 10 years in a RV and made a decision early in to not drink camp ground water. We used bottled water for years then got a Berkey Techno RV Berkey Link .
We use it at home and in the RV have not had any issues since getting it.

we have never drank CG water, when we started out, there is a small forest preserve nearby, the CG water was high in sulphates, made everything smell of rotten eggs. at home, we filled the camper with water and 2 jerry cans, got us through the weekend with the kids camping, we always have used bottled water for drinking and dog dishes

Found this thread that prompted me to sign in.
I once thought that fluoride could be filtered out, but I was wrong! A bone char filter can nutrilize it though.
Water safety is a really big thing that should be considered. In the distant past I posted what I do, but I was mistaken, thinking fluoride was easily removed.
To recap, I have a touchy digestive track. Travelers revenge seems to get the best of me. It is not about what is growing in the water, rather the change in minerals that take a toll on me.
That said filters are useless for me. Sediment filters are what they are called, and remove nothing harmful. Carbon filters remove most poisons but this depends on chemical paring. Carbon block filters have the smallest micron passages. RO removes 95 percent of what is in the water, but also kills it.
Ozone kills 98 percent of organisms in the water but leaves the salts, it also removes 95 percent of the fluoride.

What I am saying is do what is comfortable to you. For whole house purification I recommend Ozone bubbling with Carbon block filters as a final stage.
This won't work for me because change in salts cause me problems, making removal of salts nessasary. Other than RO the other option is a distiller, both of these methods I use. I return energy/life to the RO water with frequency. You do what you will.

Last edited:
RO being reverse osmosis for the uninitiated. Its how “water makers” on ocean going vessels purify sea water for domestic use.

Latest resources

Back