• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Camping On Military Property

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It doesn’t seem like a good practice to allow anyone to camp on a military base. The wrong element could load a lot of explosives in an RV. Just my humble opinion.
In order to get on a military base, you must be a veteran, or a spouse. That is not normally "the wrong element".

In order to get on a military base, you must be a veteran, or a spouse. That is not normally "the wrong element".
Or one can be sponsored at some bases by a privileged user.

Many different ways to get on bases. Each base is different to some degree. As threat condition warrants, base access can be reduced or restricted as needed to provide the best level of defense to threats.
Family Camps, or military campgrounds, are a benefit for those who serve or have served. Benefits are getting pretty slim these days for the sacrifices these folks are making. They are also (these days) the only affordable option some service families have for housing.

I’m a veteran from back in the Vietnam era. I wonder if a copy of my discharge papers would allow me onto some military campgrounds? Never tried, just curious.

I’m a veteran from back in the Vietnam era. I wonder if a copy of my discharge papers would allow me onto some military campgrounds? Never tried, just curious.
Go to the V.A. and get your V.A.card. Then register it at the local base.

If you all get to Ohio and want to camp on a military base, drop me a line.

Being a veteran is not enough - you need to be a "retired" veteran (spent 20+ years in) or have disabilities from your service. I spent 10 years in the Army and am not entitled to anything related to a military base. I can get a 10% discount at some of the big box stores though....

If you are a veteran, I strongly recommend you go to your local V.A. and register. Once registered, you will receive a VHIC ( Veterans Health Identification Card). Even if you don't have a service related disability, you can get a card. My wife is a vet, with no service related disabilities and receives her health care from the V.A.

Once you get your VHIC, register it with your local military base. Once it is in the system, you may be allowed base access (commissary, exchange, etc). All veterans are now allowed to shop the military exchanges on line and they are phasing in allowing veterans on base to shop the exchange. Check with the base on what their rules are.

If you get base access, KNOW THE RULES. No firearms. None. Don't. There was a husband who went to a boot camp graduation. Security forces saw a loaded mag in his vehicle. It went downhill for him quickly. Speed limits are enforced and you will get a ticket.

Or one can be sponsored at some bases by a privileged user.
I sponsored a person. They made an ass of themselves on base. Won't happen again.

Latest resources

Back