Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Salty Bob

RVF Regular
I'm looking at towing this model travel trailer with my 2014 Ford F150 4x2 short wheel base with 3.5 Eco-boost engine. Will it be a problem towing?

Well, that depends on how the numbers work out. The first number you need is the payload capacity of the truck MINUS the weight of all passengers, hitch, tolls/toys, etc. That will give you the tongue weight that your truck can carry. Next number is the GVW of the trailer you hope to tow. You then use 12% of the GVW as the tongue weight. If the numbers match or the tongue weight is under what you calculate for the truck capacity then you should be OK. Don't use or even think about the dry weight of the trailer. You will never tow it at that weight even when you first pick up the trailer. Also, even if you had a Mazda pick up, the dealer/salesman will say "Sure you can tow that trailer". Don't believe them........

I have heard people doing it all day long. Longevity and terrain are the other fine points to consider. What is your payload, what is your tow max as this will be a start to get to that final decision.

Latest resources

Back