Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Canada / Alaska RV Recommendation?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DBRV

RVF Newbee
My wife and I have our sticks n bricks home for sale. Want to buy a much smaller place and an RV. Currently considering a very large and nice 5th, or very large Class A or Super C to add some independence to life. I think we can come up with what works for us in the C48. However I'm thinking it would be great to take all of the warm months next year traveling up through western Canada and Alaska, perhaps as far north as Fairbanks.

Here's the question: if you have driven this area, what RV type and size would you recommend? My concern is that a large RV is not recommended, or maybe the roads would tear up an RV that was not a camper on 4x4. I'm lacking knowledge here.

I've been to Alaska, but never by road. Knew a college buddy who drove a 4x4 pickup in '76 and reported terrible roads. Your advice and recommendations would be welcome.

Nowadays the road is in pretty good shape except for the areas that always seem to be under construction. And the further north you get, the more frost heaves you encounter. Just slow down through those areas and don't be in a hurry. It is a gorgeous trip and you don't want to rush through it anyways. As for the size of your motorhome, don't worry about it. As long as you are comfortable driving it, I guarantee there is room for it. Thousands of Huge motorhomes and 5th wheels go up and down that road every year. Just watch the time of year that you decide to go. The summer is incredibly short in the Yukon and Alaska. Mid June - mid August is a safe bet, but always be prepared for that random cold snap on either ends of that date range. Also, it is a good idea to have at least 1, maybe 2 spare tires. You might not need either, but its better to have them.
One more thing, if you like a clean rig, plan on hitting the car wash a few times as sections of the ALCAN can make your rig pretty dirty.
Hope all the helps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back