Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
Hello,

Getting a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe.

I am an artist, so looking to do some mods to give me a small workspace. No drilling or cutting. Whatever I do, I want it to be reversible.

I am looking to full time in this. I have two dogs: a 40lb lab/pitty mix, and a 12lb Chihuahua/Dachshund mix.
IMG_7188.jpg

There's a few things I want to be able to do:

1. Work on my illustration, editing, photography/video, and animation.
This is the least space intensive I'd say, as it is just my computer, a secondary monitor, and a drawing monitor.

2. Work on leather projects.
I make old west style holsters and gun-belts, and also some bags etc.
I can keep my tools in tackle boxes and tool rolls, and take them out when needed. I do have a small press and a sewing machine, but those can also be stored under the table. Rolled up leather also stored underneath.

3. Reload some ammo as I do Cowboy Action Shooting and may also do some historical trekking.
This is using a small press and a hand primer. I reload black powder and it's really pretty simple.

The illustration/writing/editing/animation is the most important thing, and also the simplest to reslove I'd say: just need a way to mount the monitors so they don't go flying.

Here are two ideas I have:

Option 1. Convert the large sleeping/dinette area into a workspace by replacing the regular table with a U shaped one (diy) that spans the whole area. I would sit in the middle and have everything set up on the table that can be tied down. Other tools etc. would be in tackle boxes/tool rolls underneath.
I could either:
A. Sleep in the small dinette/bed and maybe do a sort of fold down sideways Murphy thing so I have a wider mattress.
B. Find some way to make some kind of platform at the large dinette/sleeping area which lifts up out of the way. This lift-up section can either be the mattress, with the work area underneath, or the work area, with the mattress underneath. But I can't see how this can be done without drilling into the Casita for hinges, which I won't do.

The platform would be made of lightweight but very strong rigid foam sandwiched between 1/4" luan or other material.
Pro: A really nice big work area.
Cons. I have to sleep in a small little bed, and either eat at the workspace or constantly convert back and forth. Also, should I have company, no room for two.

Of course, in good weather, the above work would often be done outside.

Option 2. Make a tabletop for the small dinette area that would allow me to sit facing the window and work. This would be about 6' wide by 2' deep, which is a pretty good work area.
This work table would be made of the same material as above

This would allow me to leave the larger dinette/bed area as a sleeping area. I detest having to remove/replace cushions and the table every time I am going to sleep, eat, work...
Pro: Pretty good workspace while keeping the sleeping area.
Con: Would need to eat at workspace. Also need to convert dinette if I have company so we can eat and sit etc.

Would need some kind of chair, or maybe one of those ergonomic stools for any of this.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back