Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Google Maps and a functioning GPS are not even close to being the same thing.
This is sort of like comparing a Class A RV to a pup tent with a warning about using it in the winter…

They can't win. Using a GPS, or Google Maps in this case, does not relieve a driver of the responsibility of actually watching the road in front of them. Further, if they did actually win, then Google maps could be held liable for the deer that runs across the road (yes, an extreme example), for torn up streets, where a municipality has no responsibility to notify Google, etc., etc. A win for the family would set a very dangerous precedent allowing some to sue for lost time or reservations due to road blockages and detours out of Google's control.

But I'm not a lawyer, so......Roger

They can't win. Using a GPS, or Google Maps in this case, does not relieve a driver of the responsibility of actually watching the road in front of them. Further, if they did actually win, then Google maps could be held liable for the deer that runs across the road (yes, an extreme example), for torn up streets, where a municipality has no responsibility to notify Google, etc., etc. A win for the family would set a very dangerous precedent allowing some to sue for lost time or reservations due to road blockages and detours out of Google's control.

But I'm not a lawyer, so......Roger
I'm with you. due diligence lies with the driver. Even though the bridge had been missing for years and Google notified, ultimately, the driver is still responsible. The bridge was on private property but If the bridge was intended for public use, then the owner might have a liability issue. I use Google Maps, Google Earth and Garmin to plan my travels. Like everything else on this planet, I know nothing is perfect.

Darrell

According to NCDOT, the bridge is on a private road on private property, not a public thoroughfare.

This story appears to be a "perfect storm" for this poor father. It struck me as it is so easy to just punch in an address and go. Like you have done so many times before.
Typically this sort of thing happens at the end of a long day when you just want to get there. So many times I'll take a Mapped route home and not think about it at all.
In the RV I've been caught out a couple of times but was able to recover without too much inconvenience. Story was the same, end of a long non standard day, route change, getting impatient, etc.
This just points up that you have to fight getting too comfortable with technology. Understand what it is telling you.
On the flip side I questioned the Tesla car navigator without fully understanding why the route changed. I discovered that real time routing was trying to avoid a closed road due to an accident that was just reported.
I ignored the change and regretted not understanding why the route changed. This resulted in a few hours of my life touring the Florida Out Back.

According to NCDOT, the bridge is on a private road on private property, not a public thoroughfare.
Well, if this is the case, I wonder how they can expect Google Maps to have it plotted. I suspect Google was never on private property to map it at all, because that would have been trespassing. It's starting to sound like a driver made a massive mistake, (trespassing), suffered massive consequences, and now the family wants someone else to pay for it.

Just my opine.....Roger

Strange there was no barrier or signs up since the bridge was out.

Sounds like multiple failures all the way around with an unfortunate sad ending.

Latest resources

Back