Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Cellular Boosters for RV's - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I see people asking often in Facebook groups about cellular boosters such as Weboost products. This is MY opinion and only mine but I want to share what I've learned since 2017.

When I got my coach Weboost was the thing and my intentions of working from my RV running a software business Internet was and is important. I got the Weboost 4G-X (I think was the model) and later even tried the Weboost RV 65 (very expensive). I tried a half dozen different antennas in talking with support as there were differences in 3G, 4G, LTE etc. Then the problem is, and this is the biggest lesson learned that most don't know about, your cellular device has to be within about a FOOT of the indoor weboost antenna. There are FCC limitations on how powerful the booster can be and also the output of the inside antenna. If you think just putting one of these in your RV is going to make a difference, you are very very very wrong.

In 2021, when I am writing this post, I would say that cellular boosters are obsolete and a complete waste of money. You are likely not going to install it or even use it properly and will see NO BENEFIT from the money you spent. Also keep in mind boosting a signal does not mean improving the signal, you can boost a BAD signal and you are just amplifying noise. You may see an additional bar on your cellular device sitting next to the indoor antenna but that doesn't mean your signal is better.

Around 2018 the RV world, at least my world, was introduced to the Pepwave Cellular routers (including WiFi depending on what you purchase). My world changed tremendously for the better and I thank @turbopilot for making me believe in this as I was a believer, and beta tester of WiFi Ranger, which I also do not recommend using for many reasons. Pepwave (by Peplink) and Cradlepoint are really the only two industry leaders in my opinion and Pepwave are far more affordable with a great user interface making it easy for anyone to use, tech savvy or not. I have no experience with Cradlepoint as I've been a huge fan of Pepwave since I started using them in November of 2018.

Since using an enterprise quality cellular router such as Pepwave I have NEVER been without Internet (I have AT&T and Verizon plans). I have no cellular boosters in my RV, I sold my Weboost RV 65 and the Weboost 4G is stored somewhere never to be used again, by me. If you're looking for something to improve both your cellular and even WiFi capability in your RV then I highly recommend the Pepwave cellular routers. Weboost products are a complete waste of money and money is far better spent on a Pepwave cellular router which come in all shapes and sizes aka price points. You do NOT need an external antenna unless your RV is a metal shell, then a roof antenna is preferred. I am using roof antennas for both cellular and wifi on my coach and after a lot of testing I have determined it to be the best fit for my use but the paddle antennas that come with the Pepwave devices are outstanding and powerful to even cover a 45 foot RV.

In summary, and in my opinion, cellular boosters are OBSOLETE and a waste of money. Ask others or even reach out to your favorite retailer, mine is linked below (not affiliated with them) and ask them what is best for your needs. I'm writing this article as again I think a lot of people in the RV world still think cellular boosters is the answer to better cellular connectivity. It is not. A good cellular modem like that in your phone with good antennas is the answer and not some signal booster with very very weak capabilities limited by the FCC.

Reach out to 5GStore.com for great customer service and ask them what they recommend for your price point and needs. Like buying computers, spend a little more will buy you more time in future proofing your purchase.

How much does one of these cost? I am seeing thousands for this equipment or am I looking at the wrong thinng.

How much does one of these cost? I am seeing thousands for this equipment or am I looking at the wrong thinng.
This equipment is not inexpensive. Prices for Peplink equipment vary from a few hundred dollars for the lower end products to way over thousands of dollars for the higher end equipment. What you need/want depends on how/where you intend to use it & how much you are willing to spend.
I also live & work full time from my RV. A Peplink MAX BR1 Pro LTEA (non 5G with CAT 20 modem) is a the heart of my RV LAN. I have the option to use RV park WiFi, cellular signals & Starlink. For a similar set up at today's prices, I would budget about $1500.00 (includes Starlink) for equipment & cabling & $200.00 - $300.00 monthly in access (data) fees.
I'm not saying my configuration is ideal for everyone. I'm just trying to provide a 'ball park' cost estimate for a configuration that has been very reliable for me.

Latest resources

Back