RV Make
Airstream
RV Model
Globetrotter 27FB
RV Length
28'
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ram 2500 4X4 Diesel Limited
  • Cellular device used: Peplink Max BR1 MK2 + Poynting 5 in 1 Roof Mount Antenna
  • Cellular network(s): AT&T and Verizon
  • Cellular plan (smartphone or hotspot, postpaid or prepaid) Postpaid data plans.
  • Location and Time of Day: Knotty Pine RV Park Kamas, UT - Spot #2 on the Upper Provo River (in a mountain valley) Approximately 8:00PM Mountain Daylight Time
  • Speed test results: AT&T: 7 Download/1.5 Upload (enough to stream Amazon Prime to Apple TV, answer email, and an occasional wifi call) Verizon shows a signal, but can't get a quality signal.
  • Any other details you want to add: This campground has a great location, beautiful scenery, but terrible wifi and no cell service.

Will this rate locations by number of pineapples? I hate stars. I like pineapples. So over Polson we would see 5 pineapples. Right? Pineapples with AT&T logos?

Will this rate locations by number of pineapples? I hate stars. I like pineapples. So over Polson we would see 5 pineapples. Right? Pineapples with AT&T logos?
Just because things can be done, doesn’t mean they should

It is functional and can be used. Just click/tap the circled plus button to add a report. You can also change base maps, locate yourself by device and search for addresses and service reports submitted by others.

@ MapNerd looks cool so far. This would be a great tool particularly if there were reports on a number of parks near each other. Depending on my objectives it might sway my decision on where to stay.

Seems like I've experienced considerable speed measurement differences between Ookla (typically what I use) and Fast.com.
Would it be appropriate to either include what speed test was used or perhaps encourage all contributors to use a particular test site just to keep the results apples to apples. .....ops I, meant pineapples s to pineapples...

It might also be good if the contributors would report (briefly) their set up. i.e hotspot only, external antenna, Cell booster etc. Maybe a set of check boxes could cover the basics and those with more elaborate routers, modems, antenna, etc. could provide a free style input.

I'm not really sure about the different speeds of different providers being better than another. Keep in mind these speed tests can take different routes through different providers such as Level3 vs. someone else. The route, the provider, everything in the mix can yield differing results. I've been happy with the Ookla app all around. You're either fast or slow, the number is irrelevant.

I tend to agree with @Neal. I was trying to keep the reporting as simple as possible. It’s true that The more granular the report, the more accurate but at the same time, what are the odds that someone else would have the exact same setup as another who had already reported? Pretty slim in my opinion so there’s going to be some apples to oranges comparisons that are just inherent in all of it. The thing to keep in mind is, they’re still both fruits.

As per a campground map, I am passively working on that and these reports would be integrated into it as well. Currrently I don’t have a timeline on when that might be available since I’m just giving it a few hours of my time as it becomes available.

Thinking about it a little more, it might be more useful and intuitive if the report basically asked if you were able to stream, browse internet, check email, and perform other common activities rather than a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo that some of us understand but most don’t.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back