Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
As I inspect the various labels on the DSDP with a Spartan chassis in the batter bay there is a tag with date of manufacture and a statement that the useful life of the chassis is 10 years or 185k miles.

Interesting statement. I guess it should not be a surprise but seeing it in print took me back.

IMG_1153.jpeg

Last edited:
Very sad, as a diesel engine should be good for at least 500,000 - 750,000 mi.

A well cared for gas engine should be able to last 150,000 - 200,000 mi.

The wording is what caught my attention. Agreed this is from an Emissions point of view.

However, the statement is "Vehicle Useful Life", not some subsystem's life.

Just something interesting I found. For me, it is totally irrelevant. In ten years I doubt I'll be the owner of this vehicle.

Planned obsolescence? Many campgrounds/rv parks think that a 10yo camper/rv is "undesirable". Perhaps the RV industry has decided that is how to keep their sales up. Kinda makes slide-in truck campers look better. Just swap the camper from one "chassis" (truck) to another newer one. I keep telling people that a slide-in truck camper is a better choice than a Class C.

Planned obsolescence? Many campgrounds/rv parks think that a 10yo camper/rv is "undesirable". Perhaps the RV industry has decided that is how to keep their sales up. Kinda makes slide-in truck campers look better. Just swap the camper from one "chassis" (truck) to another newer one. I keep telling people that a slide-in truck camper is a better choice than a Class C.
Maybe the chassis manufacturer is considering the aftermarket manufacturer! Would that be a hoot???

Latest resources

Back