Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question City Water Connection Leaking Into Fresh Water Tank(?)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Altazi

RVF Regular
We are camping with our 2018 Surveyor 220RBS. When we got to the campground, the staff said there was no city water because of a problem. I filled the trailer's fresh water tank, and proceeded to our site.

Our water pump worked ok, but it kept cycling every few seconds, so we would turn it off when we weren't using water. What is causing this cycling? Is it related to the problem discussed below?

The next day, the city water connection was repaired, so I connected the trailer to the city water. Over the night, the fresh water tank overflowed, and water was dribbling out of the fill hole. Somehow the city water is getting into the fresh water tank.

As far as I know, there is no valve or switch for me to flip. What is going on, and how can I fix this?

Thank you!

Try turning off city water. Run pump for a few minutes. Turn off pump. The turn on city water. A check valve mayhave gotten stuck, especially if you did not turn off the pump when you turnedon the city water.

The pump's foot valve (built in) is not closing enough for a tight seal! If there is no inlet strainer,you should get one. If you clean the dirt particles out of the pumps inlet valve that should fix it.

Good advice! Now I just need to find the water pump. I can hear it run, but can’t see it anyplace that is easily accessible. Any 220RBS owners out there? Any ideas?

Good advice! Now I just need to find the water pump. I can hear it run, but can’t see it anyplace that is easily accessible. Any 220RBS owners out there? Any ideas?
It will be close to the fresh water tank.

I found the water pump - it was behind a panel in the pass-through storage compartment. It was dark inside, and I had missed seeing the four tiny screws.

I think I have figured out a few things, but I could be wrong. I'm an electricity guy, not a plumbing guy. There are a couple of hoses shown that I don't know their function, and I don't see anything that looks like a check valve (?) to prevent city water from getting into the fresh water tank.

I welcome any suggestions at this point! Thanks!
1717630078788.png

As @AbdRahim mentioned it may be a stuck check, several of my past rigs the check was at the city fill connection, really no way to access it, look at the entry with a light, I've freed them up a screwdriver

And i believe that unknown open hose is to winterize with anti freeze

These two issues have not been corrected yet, and I am getting desperate.

1. The fresh water tank fills slowly when the trailer is connected to city water.

2. When using only the fresh water tank, the water pump continuously cycles every few seconds.

I know there have to be some sort of check valves in the system to prevent these problems, but I don't know where they are, or what they look like.

Here are a couple of pictures of the only (somewhat) accessible plumbing components. Aside from the water pump itself, I have no idea what any of this stuff is, or if it could be the cause of my problems.

PLEASE HELP!
Water Pump Close-Up.jpg
Inside Bathroom SInk Cabinet.jpg

These two issues have not been corrected yet, and I am getting desperate.

1. The fresh water tank fills slowly when the trailer is connected to city water.

2. When using only the fresh water tank, the water pump continuously cycles every few seconds.

I know there have to be some sort of check valves in the system to prevent these problems, but I don't know where they are, or what they look like.

Here are a couple of pictures of the only (somewhat) accessible plumbing components. Aside from the water pump itself, I have no idea what any of this stuff is, or if it could be the cause of my problems.

PLEASE HELP!
View attachment 25928View attachment 25929
The first picture showing the water pump shows a white handled valve. Does this valve control switching from city water direct to filling the fresh water tank? If it is, then I suspect that is where your problem lies. I'm betting the valve does not close properly thus allowing your tank to slowly fill. This will also cause your water pump to cycle simply because the isn't always enough presure to activate the switch that shuts it down. Yours looks like it would be easy to replace. It is best to remove the valve to take it to your RV Dealer as a sample. There are many variations to that valve.

Good luck

Darrell

Latest resources

Back