• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Class A Recommendations

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Kevin you are not comparing apples to apples.

I can store my TT covered at my SILs house for free or store a MH at a covered facility for $3000 a year.

Considering all the factors, cost of ownership for a MH is more than we are willing to spend.

It seems that Retired gave this a fair amount of consideration and thought in finalizing his decision to go with a TT. Having had all their is, in RV's, there is nothing cheap about having a motorhome. Insurance, storage, operational costs, all adds up to a fair amount, monthly.

It seems that Retired gave this a fair amount of consideration and thought in finalizing his decision to go with a TT. Having had all their is, in RV's, there is nothing cheap about having a motorhome. Insurance, storage, operational costs, all adds up to a fair amount, monthly.
Yep!

TJ

I know I was long winded. My point is there is nothing low of cost with RVs in general.

Kevin you are not comparing apples to apples.

I can store my TT covered at my SILs house for free or store a MH at a covered facility for $3000 a year.

Considering all the factors, cost of ownership for a MH is more than we are willing to spend.
Whatever you factored in for a diesel pusher Class A ownership, you need to double it. So if you are anywhere near the edge of your budget and don't think you can swing it, you are correct. I am facing a $2200 repair bill because my steering box seal started leaking pretty badly the other day. This is to rebuild my box. A refurbished box would be $2600. This expense just came out of nowhere. My 2006 coach is in VERY good mechanical condition with only 46k miles on it. I promise you, Class A motorhomes are NOT cheap to own or operate. :oops:

If I dont buy in the next 60 days, I may as well wait until summer 22 since its the M-J-J timeframe we are looking to use it.

I have rebuilt several classic Mustangs, disassembled down to the shell and rebuilt from there. Im in the middle of a 67 now. I have a show worthy 65 and the 67 may end up as a TOAD. I know what to look for on an inspection and will only buy if its the right coach at the right price. I do not make impulse buys on anything.

What I really need to know is what are the quality coaches in the 95-05 era.

I would consider a gasser, but I know we will be in the mountains alot and may have a TOAD so I would prefer a DP.

My two current Mustangs. I have had about a dozen of them the past 10 years.
I've been thinking along same lines for a TOAD.. Just worried about theft.

Attachments

• ha0414-179762_2.jpg
    ha0414-179762_2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 6
Ive been working on a couple ideas.

1. Fuel cutoff
2. Elec cutoff.
3. Pad eye under the brake pedal and a hook so that all four wheels have the brake applied when parked. They will either drag it with all four wheels locked or cut the brake lines to unlock the wheels.
4. Locked hood.

Ive decided to buy a Class A diesel pusher in the next 60 days. The wife has M-J-J off work so we are going to head north and west to escape the southern humidity. Us and the two pups. Ive been holding off making any major financial decisions. Covid, worried about the conquences of the election and where fuel prices may go, but no one can predict the future so Im not going to worry about it.

I want to spend 40-50k. I see bunches of diesel pushers 95-05 model years with asking prices of 20-50k. I hate debt, but Im going to borrow 40k on the home at 3%. Thats almost free money and gives me more options paying cash vs trying to finance an older rig.

I want a walk around queen or king bed, prefer no slides, side radiator, quality over age or amenities. Metal or fiberglass roof is high on the list. Im pretty handy with tools but do not want to deal with water damage or a major project.

I really like WanderLodges, but its tough to find a coach in that price range, even at 30 years old.

The only Class C that floats my boat is a mid-bath Lazy Dazy, but for the same money you get much more in a Class A.

Any recommendations on what brand or model to look for? So many coaches have similar sounding names and there have been so many buyouts and mergers, its tough to know who makes what or made what.

Im 60, the misses is 55, she wants to work this schedule 5 more years to maximize her pension. I see us on the road M-J-J every year and a Florida Keys trip D every year. Once she retires we will continue or hang it up, so Im really looking 5 years into the future at this point.
There's a 1994 40 foot Widebody Wanderlodge for sale at a forum (WOG) that is all about that brand. I have a 1999 model and it is a full galvanized steel body. Top is riveted steel sheet along with the sides. The only thing fiberglass are the front and rear caps. If, God forbid, you get into a bad accident or worse yet roll it, this one of a few coaches that won't fall apart around you. the internal ribs go from the steel floor pan up to the longitudinal members and welded to them. Another steel bow goes the the other side is welded the same way. Those coaches were in the $400,000's when new. That was 1996 dollars. Not to many corners cut on quality. As said, the potential for spending big bucks is there. The trick is to get a well maintained coach with service records. On the pre-1996 models, they used Detroit 8V92 engines. They did not like to be run hot. Many of them had to be rebuilt so that's something to look for in the service records. Most of the coaches on that site are owned by members and have the history of the coach well known. Lots to think about.

Latest resources

Back