Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mrichardson91909

RVF Newbee
Hello- we will be driving a 29 foot Class C Thor Daybreak for the first time and driving from Phoenix to Williams, AZ. Does anyone have recommendations on routes? What ones are okay or ones to stay away from?
Thanks!

Hello- we will be driving a 29 foot Class C Thor Daybreak for the first time and driving from Phoenix to Williams, AZ. Does anyone have recommendations on routes? What ones are okay or ones to stay away from?
Thanks!
Firstly, you will be making a pretty big climb, about 8000 feet. The last time I drove highway 17 it was pretty rough too. If you have any liquid in your tanks, they will be well shook up. :) It's a tough choice on routes. Both are very nice. Sedona is probably the most popular and if you do go that way, make sure you stop and meditate at one of the vortex. :) Going through Prescott (the locals pronounce it to sound like biscuit) is pretty nice too. If you go through Prescott, it has the oldest saloon in the state. The Palace and it's definitely worth a look. The staff dress in period clothing and it looks like it is still part of the wild west but not too touristy. The beer is cold and the food is good too. I'm sorry, I couldn't suggest the best route. Maybe you should do a loop and catch both ways.

Safe travels

Darrell

Firstly, you will be making a pretty big climb, about 8000 feet. The last time I drove highway 17 it was pretty rough too. If you have any liquid in your tanks, they will be well shook up. :) It's a tough choice on routes. Both are very nice. Sedona is probably the most popular and if you do go that way, make sure you stop and meditate at one of the vortex. :) Going through Prescott (the locals pronounce it to sound like biscuit) is pretty nice too. If you go through Prescott, it has the oldest saloon in the state. The Palace and it's definitely worth a look. The staff dress in period clothing and it looks like it is still part of the wild west but not too touristy. The beer is cold and the food is good too. I'm sorry, I couldn't suggest the best route. Maybe you should do a loop and catch both ways.

Safe travels

Darrell
To be honest, most roads in Arizona look like mines have been set off! And by the time you get to Williams you will have climbed 8000feet. I do 17 because I can take my time and still allow people to pass me. No matter the route watch temperature and act accordingly.

To be honest, most roads in Arizona look like mines have been set off! And by the time you get to Williams you will have climbed 8000feet. I do 17 because I can take my time and still allow people to pass me. No matter the route watch temperature and act accordingly.
Hello, when you refer to watching temperature, what do you mean? The engine temp? And if it begins to climb, are they places one may pull off to cool it down? Thanks

Thanks!
We recently took the Prescott route 69 and then 89 to I40. You have several wide traffic circles in Prescott, a few stoplights here and there, but easily managed in a 29 ft rig. Once you hit I40 you have a climb into Williams with a truck lane for most of the climb. My husband liked the change of pace over I17.

Hello, when you refer to watching temperature, what do you mean? The engine temp? And if it begins to climb, are they places one may pull off to cool it down? Thanks
The road is freeway! Trucks make the climb, most of them make it slowly.
The rule of thumb is:
Turn off a/c at the start of the climb.
If you see the temperature Guage moving up, slow enough to drive in a lower gear...this lowers the workload on the engine.

In case you are not aware, after the temperature reaches it's redline you will need to stop and let it cool. Do not shut the engine down, as it will only make things worse. Lift the hood if you have one. If you have lost to much water and that is the problem you will have to shut it down. Wait until cool before opening the radiator cap. Only add water to a running vehicle. Yes there is a wide shoulder so you can stop.

You should not have this kind of problem if you drive with the above advice. I am mindful of the work I am demanding of my vehicle, and drive accordingly, with never a problem.

My transmission has temperature Guage page on information panel. I keep track of that temperature as well. The number one enemy of a transmission is heat.

The road is freeway! Trucks make the climb, most of them make it slowly.
The rule of thumb is:
Turn off a/c at the start of the climb.
If you see the temperature Guage moving up, slow enough to drive in a lower gear...this lowers the workload on the engine.

In case you are not aware, after the temperature reaches it's redline you will need to stop and let it cool. Do not shut the engine down, as it will only make things worse. Lift the hood if you have one. If you have lost to much water and that is the problem you will have to shut it down. Wait until cool before opening the radiator cap. Only add water to a running vehicle. Yes there is a wide shoulder so you can stop.

You should not have this kind of problem if you drive with the above advice. I am mindful of the work I am demanding of my vehicle, and drive accordingly, with never a problem.

My transmission has temperature Guage page on information panel. I keep track of that temperature as well. The number one enemy of a transmission is heat.
Oh yes!!! Carry water 5 or 6 gallons in desert travel. I carry a gallon of antifreeze to avoid having to do a flush if I do have a problem on the road.

Latest resources

Back