Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm guilty, yesterday is the first time in years, too many years, that I cleaned the coils on my S&B refrigerator. As I was looking it over for a louder than normal noise I popped the cover off. Let's just say I created a nice air filtration system for the refrigerator, well, it's not supposed to have that. So that brings me to how often are "we" cleaning our RV refrigerator coils? It will be on my list to check first seeing if I can even access it, hoping it's on the lower front like my S&B refrigerator.

Have you been doing your proper cleaning?

I'm guilty, yesterday is the first time in years, too many years, that I cleaned the coils on my S&B refrigerator. As I was looking it over for a louder than normal noise I popped the cover off. Let's just say I created a nice air filtration system for the refrigerator, well, it's not supposed to have that. So that brings me to how often are "we" cleaning our RV refrigerator coils? It will be on my list to check first seeing if I can even access it, hoping it's on the lower front like my S&B refrigerator.

Have you been doing your proper cleaning?
Neal, I see no one answered your question? I'm in the process of convincing my self doing the coil cleaning in the DS. I have done it in the house, and it is scary how much lint build up is there.
My fridge has been there for 7 years now. They recommend cleaning them every 6 months. Good luck with that :)
The fridge is empty now, so it is a good time. Hope I don't screw up something else doing it?

Are they on the front or back in the MH? I have to go out and check the manual.

OK, just did the S & B. You folks keep me on my toes. Yup! fully clogged.

Last edited:
Today I decided to take the plunge and pull out the fridge for the 7 year :eek: coil cleaning. They recommend at least every 6 months???
Anyway, I extended the long slide. Removed the 4 wood screw at the top. Top of the fridge has two aluminum L brackets epoxied to the top.
Removed the bottom plastic grill. The bottom of the fridge is supposed to be held in place by two lag bolts. Here is what they used:
IMG_3817.JPG
fullsizeoutput_a53.jpeg
NBD%Q0zXTkCVeyyyEC84KQ_thumb_1332.jpg
Two skinny by the bottom rollers that were both broken and just sitting there. They are supposed to keep a 100-150 lb loaded up fridge from rolling out in a sharp turn?
I guess it is part of the "rigorous quality control and inspections" by Newmar?
My solution was two 1.5" long 1/4" lag bolts.

The empty fridge was easy roll out. The electrical cord and water line had enough slack so I did not have to disconnect them. Just turned off the breaker.
fullsizeoutput_a51.jpegfullsizeoutput_a52.jpeg
I was able to tilt the fridge towards the bead, and my wife vacuumed underneath while I held it at 45 degree tilt. Then I removed the rear panel and cleaned around the compressor, fan blades etc. Overall it was not very bad. But people with shedding pets, may have a different situation?
Rolled it back in, and now have to secure it with the top screws, and will install at least11/4" lag bolts at the bottom.
Gl;ad I did it. It was bothering me that all this years it was never done.
Another thing scratched of my pre-departure list.

Last edited:
Did you find any money under it? Sorry, my wife's fav question.

She always keeps the money. I just work for her.

Nice post..... another job....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back