• Commercial/Vendors welcome

CO/Propane Detector Issue

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Expecting a tech to do his job is no less reasonable than expecting anyone else to do their job.

I’m completely frustrated by this. Every time I run the furnace with the door closed, the alarm goes off. Two techs now have declared there’s no leak and they have not had the alarm go off. It’s not the dogs sleeping on the floor, since I’ve had the alarm go off with and without them in the trailer.

Again, this trailer was built about a year and a half ago.

What else can cause this? Is there something I’m doing wrong in turning the system on?
I suspect the monitor is located at floor level. Ours, in our motor home is as well from the Factory. I don't know why they do this because they are ineffective down low. They should be at least five feet above the floor. Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement - Do's and Don'ts - Sterling Home Inspections

We have installed combination smoke and CO2 detectors. Battery Powered Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector | Kidde We have one in the front and one in the rear of our motor home. You could do the same and just disable the defective factory unit. I believe you will be safer with the combo.

Darrell

I suspect the monitor is located at floor level. Ours, in our motor home is as well from the Factory. I don't know why they do this because they are ineffective down low. They should be at least five feet above the floor. Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement - Do's and Don'ts - Sterling Home Inspections

We have installed combination smoke and CO2 detectors. Battery Powered Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector | Kidde We have one in the front and one in the rear of our motor home. You could do the same and just disable the defective factory unit. I believe you will be safer with the combo.

Darrell

That’s for the CO portion. If you have five feet of propane gas in your RV, you might already be dead.

I understand that propane leaks are a pretty rare thing, but until I find an explanation for the alarm, the worry is going to chew me up inside.

It’s supposed to be relaxing to go camping isn’t it? In all my years of tent camping, I’ve never had to worry about blowing up, and I barely even thought about bears or snakes.

That’s for the CO portion. If you have five feet of propane gas in your RV, you might already be dead.
I strongly suspect you would smell a propane leak even if it was small. CO2 is odorless though.

Darrell

I understand that propane leaks are a pretty rare thing, but until I find an explanation for the alarm, the worry is going to chew me up inside.

It’s supposed to be relaxing to go camping isn’t it? In all my years of tent camping, I’ve never had to worry about blowing up, and I barely even thought about bears or snakes.
I would also be worried. Probably worried enough to just replace the unit just for the peace of mind. Good luck. I hope you can solve the problem.

Darrell

This does sound awfully frustrating. I'm looking a the same trailer (among many others) as an option for our family and that the techs can't find the issue is not confidence inspiring. I'm hoping it's more of a dealer issue than a Rockwood issue and the right people will sooner than later be able to permanently fix the problem you're having.

Latest resources

Back