Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Comfort Drive not working on digital dash coaches?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've heard several cases now where coaches with digital dashes that comfort drive doesn't seem to be adjustable if it is even working at all. I've only heard cases on SP's but not sure if it's also affecting FL chassis coaches. I toured @NWIP gorgeous 2020 DSDP and he has a plug not even connected under the dash cover that appears to be related to comfort drive. Anyone have details on this saga? I read an article on Facebook recently of a 2019 King Aire with this issue as well.

I found this plug when looking around for the brake control wire so I could hookup my toad invisibrake on the new coach. I have no idea if this is supposed to be connected and haven’t driven the coach (225 miles) to know if comfort drive is working. I will call Newmar next week to see what they have to say.

Attachments

• 1580576038880.jpeg
    1580576038880.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
Wander if there is a way to check if your comfort drive is working? On my coach does not seem to make any difference when I turn the knob?

From my experience with two different coaches that had CD, if you can't tell the difference when you turn the knob from 1 to 5 or vice versa, it isn't working.

TJ

I could certainly tell on our 2017. I won’t have a chance to check for awhile as we don’t leave for another month

Yes, anyone could tell if it's working from the steering feel. Marked difference from one end to the other on the dial. Also, there are MANY unused and or extra plugs under the dash area. As long as our coach keeps doing what it's doing, I don't worry about them.

One way I have heard to tell if CD is working is turn your wheel all the way to one side. Let it go and see if wheel returns to center. If it does, it works. Again, hearsay.

One way I have heard to tell if CD is working is turn your wheel all the way to one side.

Good point. Newmar's Comfort Drive has return to center. What they put in Entegra does not.

Update......Talked to Newmar yesterday and they said plug is supplied by Spartan and should have been connected by Newmar during production?. They apologized for the oversight but when I asked where to plug in I was told they couldn’t provide the information to customer and I needed take it back to dealer?

I plan on starting MH today and see if I get steering wheel to return to center when shutting off as verification that CD is not working. Call me skeptical but not confident with info provided by Newmar.

That's disappointing to hear, @NWIP. Quality control seems to be slipping at Newmar. "We bad, take it to your dealer" just doesn't seem like the right approach.

I'm wondering about whether the plug not being properly connected also means that some initial programming needs to be done before CD will work properly. We'll be interested in what the "dealer" does. If it is just to plug in the connector, I would have some serious issues with Newmar's approach.

Keep us posted, Bill.

TJ

Latest resources

Back