• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Compact folding ladder

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Boy, the ladder @Jabber Jaw purchased is listed for $89 and the one @Neal purchased is listed for $304. There’s gotta be a reason but I don’t see it in the write ups. Is the more expensive one worth the huge difference?
Neal has a lot more money than me!?

Boy, the ladder @Jabber Jaw purchased is listed for $89 and the one @Neal purchased is listed for $304. There’s gotta be a reason but I don’t see it in the write ups. Is the more expensive one worth the huge difference?

First difference is length. If you go to the 15.5 ft version of the "$89 model" the price jumps to $180. I don't know about any other telescoping ladder, I don't know the background of why/how @ARD chose the one she has, I'm sure it was recommendations from others. She also researches intensely, I've tried to spend her money bypassing the scrutiny, never worked :) I borrowed her telesteps brand 16ft ladder and the quality was outstanding, the design was a winner to me (mechanical engineer brain), and the ease of retracting them was ingenious. The rungs have red/green indicators to indicate the security (latched) which is very important for safety. I own an unsafe ladder (stick nonsense) and want a safe one I am not going to fall off of. My father was in a wheel chair (not from a fall), my uncle is in a wheel chair paralyzed waste down from falling from a ladder so I'm very sensitive about ladders and the trend of my father and his brother I want to be sure I don't follow. The rungs have a vertical toe guard per se to keep your feet from slipping forward. I'm very happy to pay a premium for this ladder I ordered as I believe it is premium. I am at a point and have been a long time in my life to buy things once, but it right the first time. Okay, I bought a stupid stick ladder, now I'm buying a telescoping ladder that will last me for life.

I'm with @Neal on buying quality stuff, especially when it involves safety. In the long run, buying "once" saves you money...and, could save your life.

TJ

I'm with @Neal on buying quality stuff, especially when it involves safety. In the long run, buying "once" saves you money...and, could save your life.

TJ
I knew I should have purchased the Essex?!

So far I have been able to get by with my aluminum 8' step ladder. I have been able to travel with it initially in my enclosed trailer and now mounted on the deck of my Tandem Tow dolly. It must be a little easier to use because two of my buddies here at my winter site have a couple different types of telescoping RV ladders and they keep coming by and borrowing mine.

If my toad ever changes to where I can't haul my regular 8' step ladder then I'll be shopping for the telescoping type.

I have a 6-7 foot "stick" ladder like the OP, I think I got it from "spit" Camping World. It is flimsy, I've jumped off this thing no less than 3 times to save from falling. I borrowed Renee's (@ARD) telesteps ladder to put my windshield gutter thing on and it was solid and safe. I may get one myself if I can figure out where to store it. It was nice as the ladder rungs had a back part that went vertical so your feet have stops. It's pricey but quality. She uses very thick pool noodle foam on the top left/right section for where it makes contact with the coach.

that is a freaking awesome ladder. I don’t think we need one that tall, but I’m going to look into them.

My telesteps arrived and I decided to use the gen bay for storage. I just put it on top of the gen and secured it with lashing straps to left/right posts (not yet installed in this pic) as I take this bay very seriously in that if anything comes out it could kill someone. Don't need any more drama in life!

IMG_1454.JPG

Latest resources

Back